First Lil Indian Build

Brand new to the forum and mini-bikes. I acquired a Lil Indian frame and wheels out of my grandparent's barn when it was torn down. It sat in my garage until I found a nice 2hp Briggs motor at a local trader's fair and that got me motivated to start building it. I just got it halfway cleaned up and taken apart. I have two main questions:

1. What is the best way to go about cleaning up and restoring the 5" Mag Wheels? Any special considerations with the material? Can you paint it/protect it?

2. My frame didn't have a brake and i have been noticing that these are either nonexistent in reproduction form and originals are very expensive. Therefore, I am thinking about going to a clutch brake. Has anyone installed one on a motor like mine? Do you need a clutch cover for the brake band to run on or does it run right on the OD of the clutch? (Parts Camp Centrifugal Clutch 5/8" Bore #35 Size Chain 11 Tooth)

Thanks!

Attachments

My recommendation would be to sandblast the wheels, then send them to Sam B for burnishing. I would spend the money getting an original brake, buy a seat from Karen, and restore the rest. You will end up with a beautiful bike!

markus

In order to make a band brake work with that engine configuration you will need either the correct side cover with the 4 mount lugs cast in or fabricate your own mount system that holds the band brake off the sidecover mount/perimeter bolts. there is a thread on here somewhere with band brake setups and probably some ideas there for the bracketry off a smooth cover.

post 1972-like 1974 you could find band brake assemblies on lil indians with that frame design still here and there. Yours a year or so earlier, most likely 70-71 but there have been a couple pop up like that.

here is an example of one

Here's the way I did my Ruttman clutch brake. I used the upper side cover bolts , got longer bolts and used spacers to bring the plate out level with the cover.

OND,

Thanks. I used a setup very similar to the one you showed. I ordered a brake kit off OldMiniBikes and modified it slightly and used spacers to get it mount decent. I still need to get the brake mounted but test fits looked promising.

Attachments

Update: It Lives!

It was a busy weekend. Parts rolled in (new throttle, OldMiniBikes Brake kit, new gear, new chain, rest remover, paint, new bearings plus some others I am probably forgetting. I used a crud cutter and then POR-15 on top of the frame for as much rust protection as I can get. I pressed the old bearings out, cleaned the wheels up as best I could and pressed new bearings in. I have new tires and tubes on backorder so I aired up the originals and mounted them for now.

I mounted the motor, fit up the chain and hooked up a throttle linkage the best I could with the huge wire nut from the brake kit. The wire nut was so big it essentially stuck the motor wide open. Anyway, I just wanted to ride it so I rigged it up and decided that my feet will be good enough brakes for now. And they were but just barely! It gets momentum and gets uncomfortably fast with only feet as brakes and no throttle control. So after the first joyride it is time to rig the throttle better and get the brakes working.

Thanks for he help so far!

IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

OND,

Thanks. I used a setup very similar to the one you showed. I ordered a brake kit off OldMiniBikes and modified it slightly and used spacers to get it mount decent. I still need to get the brake mounted but test fits looked promising.
You are welcome Chet , glad you got It figured out.

Quick Update: I have had some issues starting the motor. I have spark, compression and air but the fuel isn't getting into the combustion chamber. After much searching I determined that a replacement carb is more expensive than a motor so I have a carb rebuild kit coming in today. Hopefully new gaskets will help pull that fuel in the way it is intended!

Also because of this I have halted work on the brake system in case I find that I need a new carb. If that is the case, I will probably look for a new motor.

Welcome to the minibike madness. That is a great start to a classic minibike. The best part is you know the history somewhat as it came out of your grandparents barn. I would keep an eye out for a disc brake as they do pop up on here and ebay occasionally. It will cost you but worth it to keep it original. I bet a carb rebuild will make that motor run great, follow Dr. Shop Teachers thread for tips on the rebuild.
Oh and keep an eye out on here for the fiberglass repop clutch/chain guard covers, another item to keep it looking original.

Here's mine that i finished up a few years back... Keep us posted!

After rebuilding the carb on the old 2hp and messing with ALL THE THINGS for a week. It still won't stay running. I have come to the conclusion it is probably a timing issue? Anyway, instead of trying to figure out the timing (maybe that isn't even the issue), I decided to source a new motor. A little newer and a little bigger with it's own set of challenges. Stay tuned, this could get interesting...and dangerous?

Sorry I haven't updated this in awhile but it is 98% complete except for a seat. I did go through some trials which I will detail below.

The first Briggs I had stopped working ~1 week after i got it installed. I could't diagnose the problem as we had spark and air. I figured it was fuel then so I rebuilt the carb with no improvement. So i bought a new motor, a 5hp briggs off of a pressure washer. The problem was the engine was huge and the shaft needed machining to get a clutch on.

I was going to make the 5hp work and even machined the shaft down to 3/4" for a clutch but I found another 2hp ("mini tiller") on an old go kart frame at a swap meet. I got that engine bolted on and boom we have a running mini bike! Now i just need to make a seat.