Fixing up a Tote Gote VS

I found this a few days ago, mostly complete, mostly original.

new.jpg

I'm still deciding exactly what I want to do with it. My first inclination is to restore it as best I can, and ride it around. From what I've seen on the internets, there are several other examples around in rusty condition, so it probably would be nice to get one of them looking shiny and new.

I need to get the engine running and see if everything works. The throttle linkage looks like it may have been tinkered with a little, and the cable is a bit rusty and stiff, so I need to get it smooth so I can see if the rest of the linkage, springs, and governor are working properly. And of course I need to start it. The blower housing is missing...I am waiting for a replacement to show up in the mail. Since the cover was removed, it's likely that it is not getting spark, right? that's what folks do, they take stuff half way apart, decide they can't fix it, then lose the parts. The engine does feel like it has compression, and it doesn't clatter when I turn it over by hand.

The chains are a bit rusty, I removed them so I could roll the scooter around, and also to measure how long their replacements need to be. The bearings on the jackshafts are nice and smooth.

The rusty brake levers....I guess they're hard to find replacements for, that are the same ones. Might just use some of the later design that has a single clamp bolt, instead of the double bolt clamp. These might be English? they look like those found on some old Raleigh bicycles?

Last edited:
I applaud your decision to restore this machine. :thumbsup: OldMiniBikes Warehouse sells the foot peg rubbers. Their link is at the top of the page and they are our benefactors who run the forum here.

Here is a link to the Briggs L Head engine manuals on line. Click Here

Here is a link to [MENTION=51233]Dr. Shop Teacher[/MENTION] write up on rebuilding 3HP Briggs with some excellent details. Click Here

Your flow jet carburetor most likely needs some attention. You can find new one's on ebay right now for less than $25. Not even worth rebuilding at that price, since someone has probably already tried to split it apart without removing the main metering needle.

There are some things I'd check before putting on that recoil/shroud. I'll let the experts chime in, but pawls, flywheel off, points, mag, (magnetron conversion?)

Also, and I am not sure of your model, but many of the Tote Gotes did not utilize the engine governor. If it is removed, it might be because it came that way originally, to make a simpler linkage- and the load was generally sufficient enough to where you had to try very hard to blow them up.

Those levers look like mini bike standard Cherry. Inexpensive to replace. Excited to see you move ahead on this.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to investigate the governor...it would well be that the linkage bypasses it. I'd like to keep points in it, if I can get a good condenser--that seems to be a common problem today, with older cars.

the brake levers on mine are not Cherry levers, they have an extra link in them, the cable does not have the round large end that the Cherry requires. But I could use Cherrys to replace them, and I doubt anyone but me (and anyone who reads this thread) would ever notice.

Too bad the repro peg rubbers are black, not red.... but again, it really doesn't matter.

Upon closer inspection....the "MADE IN...." stamp was hidden pretty well, and it's tiny. But there it is...JAPAN!

I did find one picture of these same levers, on google, from a site that copies stuff from ebay auctions. no idea when they were offered for sale, and they were rusty, too.

new12.jpg

new13.jpg

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
The Brake levers are old school bicycle brake levers I'm sure. I'll look and post a link when I find them.

I looked in Vintage Bicycle brake levers, nothing exact so far. # 172505088984

Last edited:
yeah, they are old bicycle brake levers. But kind of hard to find the exact style today...if you have a link for something that's close, I'd sure appreciate it.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I looked into 20 pages on e-bay nothing exact, I know I've seen them in the past.

I'll have a look in my stash when I get out to the shop.

The pointed lever reminds me of a muscle bike brake lever.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks!

On the Deepco clutch...to get it off the engine...do I use a normal 3 jaw puller? I don't want to distort the aluminum? or potmetal? housing. I put a puller on it, but don't want to crank down on the force bolt too hard.

Davis

Those are not the correct brake handles and as far as the clutch goes let it soak in pb blaster a few days and I usually work them off from the backside and sometimes they flat gust don't come off and you either ruin the clutch or if the motor was junk I've cut the crank and done it that way and as far as the foot pegs the black ones on OldMiniBikes are correct for the bike.

So, the remains of the original red peg rubbers should not be there? strange :)

I may just leave the clutch on for now, if it's that hard to get off.

Interesting...in the blue Action brochure above, I can see the two bolt clamps on the levers, just like mine has. My guess is that they sourced parts from several different places over the years. I see no evidence on mine that the levers were ever changed. I also noticed that the footpegs on the scooter in the brochures are light colored, as mine are...not black.

Fortunately I'm working on a $100 bike, not a $10,000 bike, so it's not quite the end of the world if either I get it wrong, or someone thinks I got it wrong.

I see two on the pic in the flyer...but since I can't find any like that to buy, I'll probably just get some of the generic replacements. No biggie.

Anyways, my new used engine shroud/starter came in the mail today, so I put it on, and no spark, like I expected. made a wrench for the flywheel nut thingy, pulled the flywheel, filed the points and adjusted them, and soldered the coil wire back on (it seemed loose and corroded). I finally saw a little glimmer of spark from the end of the plug wire, so I put it all back together. put some gas in it, gas drips out the carb, of course. But after a few pulls, it fired up. yay.

I need to put one of the chains back on, then I can see if it will move under it's own power.

I also put a kill switch on it....I wonder what they had originally? this one had an old doorbell button kind of dangling from some old wire.

The clutch sticks in the "go fast" position, which makes riding a bit exciting. The throttle seems to work, more or less. The brakes work, more or less. The carb needs work. The kill switch works.

first ride.jpg