Float needle wear

What causes this?
The needle on my Mikuni vm 22 went to the dogs.
The carb probably has about 200 dirt road miles on it.
I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it adjusted, and it's no wonder why now. A nice little grove was formed around the pointed end of the needle. But what causes this?

Strangely, this is the first float needle I have seen that is not rubber tipped, it's just brass on brass, with a pin and spring inside the float tab end of the needle.

I know gas flowing past it couldn't possibly wear out brass.
I've had problems with this carb since almost day one.
Maybe it was damaged during shipping?

I ride somewhere around 30-40 mph on some severely wash boarded dirt roads. Could all the vibration wear out a needle?
Does it get hammered into the seat on each bump?
The floats float, that is, they aren't filling with gas.

I just replaced the needle and seat, (at ridiculous pricing) and am starting all over going through the process of trying different jets and tuning to get it right, but it's stupid if it's going to wear out every month or so.

I welcome your thoughts with open arms.
Thanks.

Joe

hmmmm.I took apart a db30 stock carb..it had no rubber tip either..no wonder was flooding..you can't get parts for the db30 carb..that carb you got I think would be better built.. that sucks...I would say vibration is right ..even just from engine...at least you can get parts...stuff becoming disposable..just wondering if the gx200 clone has no rubber tip in its carb..

Last edited:
I think I'm done.
I'm going to make one attempt to reinstall the original carb.
If that doesn't work, I'm pulling this puppy and.....%&*# that!

I'm going to pull this engine and install the 212.

No rods, no springs, no custom carbs, and probably no custom exhaust.
I'm not an engine builder, as hard as I've tried to be. I'm tired of dicking around, and I just want to ride.

FMTT

Attachments

Well..sorry you having so much trouble...I hear you about wanting to just ride..some mild mods,tc,exhaust,air filter and jetting on the predator keeping it reliable as your main ride maybe best...it could be a nice passtime if that hotrod engine was on another bike to blast around near home for giggles

MB165

its vibration, low fuel consumption (4 stroke small engine) will cause the needle to be in close to the seat almost constantly, coupled with the vibration sets up a perfect condition.
that is a thinwalled manifold wow.

Well the predator now resides on my Baja. I miss many things from the previous engine. Mostly the balls.:rolleyes:
Many factors came into play, and I think the crux of the issue was a really crappy original flywheel.
At some point I'm going to get it balanced, but it's no wonder I was having so many problems with the carb, what with all the vibration killing the float needle, and causing a crummy manifold to crack, leading to ultimate failure.

I'll be working over the old engine at at some point, and putting it back on.