Flywheel Key and Engine Question

A couple quick questions regarding my Tecumseh H60

1. Any tips on getting a stuck flywheel key out. I used penetrating oil, hammer, attempted to pry it up somehow with no luck. Any suggestions.

2. I currently have the side cover removed and find it nearly impossible to turn the engine over. Am i missing something basic here causing this to happen or is there internal engine issue. The engine was running before disassembly.

Thanks
Nick

1.) Try using a large pair of side cutters to grab on the key. The end of the crank can be used as a fulcrum point. Don't force anything. Keep soaking with penetrating oil and repeat if necessary.

2.) Did you physically turn the engine over before disassembly (not with the recoil)? If it turned over by hand it's possible that the camshaft and crank are binding due to not being supported by the sidecover.

Why are you disassembling the engine?

The side cover side cover?? Holds the crank shaft in?? YEAH don't go turning and spinning stuff with the PTO cover off, stuff binds up..

WOW never seen a key you can't knock out with a hammer at least.. :confused: On a bad one, I usually use like a chisel for a poker, because it will bite and grab hold, as aposed to slip off..

Then just a hammer or whatever, I usually go from the very front, and try to drive it strait back towards the engine.. It will slide till the keyway starts rounding out, where the key will start climbing out of the slot..

If ya can't budge it at all, ya may want to give it an upward push and try to lift the front side.. If it raises at all, you can get a nail tip underneath the key, and drive that in to lift the key out..