For The Life Of Me - Shipping rant

Heads up Mini Bike parts sellers and everyone else: Stop shipping my stuff by Fedex ground. I just want you to know that I will buy my parts from the guy that uses the cheap two-day USPS flat rate box firts. Do you think I want to pay 2-3X for shipping and get it in 5-6 days when I can get it in 2 days for 5 bucks? Uh, no I don't. so here is my promise to you my friends. I will put anyone who stubbornly uses Fedex at the bottom of my list of vendors. USPS flat rate box guys get the nod, with UPS second.

Thanks
KD

P.S. Hent uses USPS!

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
priority mail is fast for sure,and they run on the weekend so if you dont get it friday theres a good chance you will get it saturday :thumbsup:

danc9

Say it out loud....

The sellers will ship the way you want, but you have to tell them. What can Brown loose for you!!! FedEx is worse than the paper boy!!! I spend my hard earned dollars with USPS first, and yes I spend a few dollars more, but I get my package. (.) That ends with a period.

IMHO,

DAN

FYI, if you are selling to anyone in Canada USPS is the ONLY way to go. UPS charges $35-40 brokerage fee for customs at the border even if it is a $1.00 part!!! Learned that the hard way. And USPS is super fast,

Man don't get me started with Fed-Ex:censure:...Bought a beautiful Foremost Golden Pinto survivor out of Cali a month before Christmas to use as my kid's one and only present this year. The guy I got it from carefully disassembled the bike and shipped in two boxes...FedEx....was supposed to take about a week. After two weeks I started getting nervous and checked the tracking #...the first box made it to NJ in a week alright, some guy named Jose signed for it...only problem is there is nobody by that name in my shop. Then I put in the tracking number for the 2nd box...it went from California to Kearny NJ and then got scanned in at a depot down in Florida. Now I'm pissed...I called Fed-ex and spoke to one of the operators. She had no idea where the first box was. When I asked her why the other damn half of it was down in Florida she said "Sir, I'm not sure what the driver's route is". Hahaha...are you friggin kidding me...his route takes him from California to NJ then down to Florida and my package dosen't bother to get off..? At that point I demanded to speak with a supervisor....who couldn't offer an explanation or account for the whereabouts of either of these huge boxes. I went on a rant, told him how incompetent Fed-Ex was, that this was my kids only Christmas present and the friggin thing better show up and I slammed the phone down. Now I know I really couldn't do anything about it, but it made me feel better to yell and slam the phone:hammer:...lo and behold within 12 hrs both boxes magically showed up on the same truck with the same driver...who knows:shrug:, I was just relieved it showed up at all. I got a call from customer service about a week later...one of those 10 second courtesy calls saying how sorry they were for the inconvenience only I made the guy stay on the phone 15 minutes and listen to the whole story all over again. Told him it wasn't his fault, but the company he worked for was a joke....and that I should be refunded the shipping charges...but I never heard from them again.
I'm done with them.

Last edited:

Hent

P.S. Hent uses USPS!
Thanks!

We use USPS for 95% of the packages. We use FedEx in large package situations (some tire/wheel combos), and only because we max our shipping out at $14.50 - it becomes cheaper for us. I can't spend $30 on priority mail when half of it comes from my pocket.

When I order from other places, I try my best to get them to use USPS Priority as it gets to me quicker, and is usually cheaper. :thumbsup:

I use UPS for big things like motors, Frames ect... Dont use USPS for motors. They dont seem to be equipped to handle big heavy boxes on those little trucks, and everyone I have gotten has been beat to hell. If you have to use them make sure you pack well . But anything that will fit in a flat rate box , definately goes by USPS :thumbsup:

I use UPS for big things like motors, Frames ect... Dont use USPS for motors. They dont seem to be equipped to handle big heavy boxes on those little trucks, and everyone I have gotten has been beat to hell. If you have to use them make sure you pack well . But anything that will fit in a flat rate box , definately goes by USPS :thumbsup:
Yes, I totally agree with that. I use UPS for anything big.

Well thats why ya use some kind of packing material ya Dingdong.. :eek:ut: Of coarse it's gonna get beat up.. But so will anybody else.. I use nothing but US mail... I've shipped dozens of engines via USPS and never had any problems ever.. :shrug: Theres a certain point when something large becomes cheaper to ship UPS... but thats a pretty big item.. I think it's the size of the box more than anything.. 75 bucks for two engines from MI to CA?? :shrug: GOT DAMN!!! Thats not un-reasonable... I've had stuff shipped TO ME via UPS and I'm here to tell ya.. Brown Streak is the WORST for mangled destroyed beat to hell as they come...

A buddy of ours from school is a driver for Brown Streak and he agrees.. He says, Yeah I always feel like crap when I gotta deliver sombodies package that looks like it's been ran over and dragged down the street.. LITERALLY has fork truck fork holes in the box.. :sad: They look at you like YOU did it personally.. :shrug:

Hent....

Just ship the stuff slow mail man.. To hell with %80 price increase to get the stuff there 2 days faster.. :shrug: Slow mail with a tracking number.. Insurance if need be.. Still cheaper than anybody else.. and FAR MORE likely to arrive in good shape.. or even AT ALL.. :doah:

No matter WHO you use... YOU MUST make a SOLID package with styrofoam inserts and ENOUGH TAPE to keep the package together.. People just throw an engine in a box and put a piece of tape on it.. Nothing to keep it from bouncing around loosely.. What do they expect?? :eek:ut:

Well thats why ya use some kind of packing material ya Dingdong.. :eek:ut: Of coarse it's gonna get beat up.. But so will anybody else.. I use nothing but US mail... I've shipped dozens of engines via USPS and never had any problems ever.. :shrug: Theres a certain point when something large becomes cheaper to ship UPS... but thats a pretty big item.. I think it's the size of the box more than anything.. 75 bucks for two engines from MI to CA?? :shrug: GOT DAMN!!! Thats not un-reasonable... I've had stuff shipped TO ME via UPS and I'm here to tell ya.. Brown Streak is the WORST for mangled destroyed beat to hell as they come...

A buddy of ours from school is a driver for Brown Streak and he agrees.. He says, Yeah I always feel like crap when I gotta deliver sombodies package that looks like it's been ran over and dragged down the street.. LITERALLY has fork truck fork holes in the box.. :sad: They look at you like YOU did it personally.. :shrug:

When I ship anything regardless of the shipper, I try to go overboard on the packing. I was a warehouse manager for many years and I have seen all kinds of damaged freight. The motors that were sent to me were in less than stellar packing for sure.The best way to ship a motor is to screw it down to a peice of plywood then pack around all side with styrofoam or more cardboard, and then fill any remaining spaces with tons of newspaper or bubblewrap, and then Double box the damm thing. It adds extra weight and cost a little more but it worth it in the long run for sure. :thumbsup:But I have followed up on some motors that I sent to other members via UPS and they all said it arrived safe and sound :shrug:

Dammit again; I go to order some Tomar clutch sprockets from a well known dealer Iowa this morning. Need them for this Saturday. Well, I better call and make sure he uses USPS flat rate. Nope, UPS only, so cant get them here by ground in time. $20.00 instead of $5.00 to get it here a day later than USPS. Sweet.... NO THANKS Turk Bros.

Dammit again; I go to order some Tomar clutch sprockets from a well known dealer Iowa this morning. Need them for this Saturday. Well, I better call and make sure he uses USPS flat rate. Nope, UPS only, so cant get them here by ground in time. $20.00 instead of $5.00 to get it here a day later than USPS. Sweet.... NO THANKS Turk Bros.
:lol: I will NEVER use Fed Ex if I ever send you something KD.. :lol: I MIGHT look into a Brown Streak for JamesC's motors though.. :eek:hmy: Thats quite the box alll the way to CA... I'm thinking plywood crate.. :laugh: Has Brown Streak ever destroyed and or lost a wooden crate for ya? :confused: They aren't THAT dumb are they? :confused: Probably just as expensive though.. :laugh:.. MORE even.. :glare:

:lol: I will NEVER use Fed Ex if I ever send you something KD.. :lol: I MIGHT look into a Brown Streak for JamesC's motors though.. :eek:hmy: Thats quite the box alll the way to CA... I'm thinking plywood crate.. :laugh: Has Brown Streak ever destroyed and or lost a wooden crate for ya? :confused: They aren't THAT dumb are they? :confused: Probably just as expensive though.. :laugh:.. MORE even.. :glare:
No, UPS is good out here; no problems. Just more expensive and slower if it's out of state small parts.

I shipped a Boss Hoss motorcycle front end by UPS to Northern California from Portland, OR. I built a wooden crate for it. And suspended the heavy weight parts and all that show chrome inside the crate and that crate was 95 pounds 11x12x60 so I built in rope handles into each end so the driver could handle that box.
I have shipped a lot of old lead/zinc organ pipes all over the U.S. in home built crates.
You have to help the UPS Gorillas out or they will destroy your shipment.
Steve :scooter:

I got 2 brand new mini bikes from UPS and they were totally destroyed. UPS sucks. Large heavy boxes are not good to use the post office because it is exspensive. I would recomend the USPS flat rate box. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: Oh, did I say I work for USPS :laugh::laugh::laugh: