Found the Gilson Holy Grail -- NOS Luggage racks

capguncowboy

As the title says, I've managed to locate and work out a deal on some NOS Gilson luggage racks. @bowhunt4life found a bike with a rack on it a couple of years of ago, confirming they did actually exist outside the one obscure advertisement. Because that's the only rack I had ever seen, I was beginning to think maybe it was a prototype, and there weren't any more.

A couple of weeks ago, one popped up on eBay with a mislabeled title and after a bidding war, I was able to win the auction. I reached out the seller to ask where he got it and he said he had a few of them from an estate sale years ago. They were with some Rupp stuff, so he assumed they too were Rupp.

Here they are in all their glory. They're in amazingly great condition, have very little shelf wear and no rust. The chrome looks about as good as new.

My main goal here is to make sure the info is documented and shared with everyone. These are about as rare as they get but would be simple to reproduce. I'll get some measurements/dimensions added soon. I made sure to set one aside for @Dr. Shop Teacher, as he's the only person I know of that has attempted to reproduce one.

More to come

20200402_114502.jpg Gilson_4.jpg

Last edited:

capguncowboy

The rack slats are 1.5" wide, the side pieces are 1" wide. The overall width is 8", and the total length is 10-7/8". The two mounting holes are 8" and 10.5" from the rear end. The angled cut on the rear end of the side pieces is 2-5/8" long. It leaves about 1/4". I can't locate my angle finder, so I'll have to give the angle when I find that.

20200402_185423.jpg 20200402_185449.jpg 20200402_185539.jpg 20200402_185634.jpg 20200402_185729.jpg

Last edited:

capguncowboy

I saw a picture of a grab bar on a gilson. Has anybody ever found one of them?
if you're talking about the tubular loop, someone here posted up pictures of their Gilson and it had one on it. Not sure if it was an original Gilson item or not though.

I've never seen that sissy bar in the ad listed above though.