Fox Project In Progress

I had my Fox bike sandblasted today, and I have to say I have a solid old-school mini in my possession. This is my first minibike project, and so far, so good. I lightly sanded with 1000 grit after the blasting, then wiped with paint thinner before hitting with primer.

Maybe I should have removed the fenders before the local shop sandblasted my project, but I am kind of glad to discover the former colors on the bike (after removing the fender I discovered a lime green, as well as the most current metallic blue). I will not remove the two hues, so that future owners can see its history.

I am excited to start painting, but I cannot decide on color. Orange is my first choice just because it is so bold. Yellow is my second choice for the same reason, while my kids say slime green. I feel pressured to go with green because this is supposed to be "for the kids."

Well, I will keep you posted with photos.

IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4608.JPG IMG_4572.JPG IMG_4580.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Chopper,

The bike's looking good and you're making good progress. Just one thing. You need to get those forks apart before you paint and inspect the bushings in there. You don't want to paint the part of the upper forks that extend into the lower forks. If you need help bring them over and I'll show you how they come apart. I have a small Unimat lathe that I turn the bushings to press them in. Shouldn't take too long at all. We can also make the brass pin that holds the lower legs in.

Here is a tutorial by Ogy (our resident Fox expert and overall good guy on the boards).
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/64621-fox-fork-removal.html
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/86422-fox-doodlebug-fork-bushing.html

Doc

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing. Did you sandblast at Atom Blasting. Those guys are great. I usually bring them a 12 pack and a few dollars and they do it while I wait. Saves me the trip back to pick the frames up.

Doc

Oh, one other thing. Did you sandblast at Atom Blasting. Those guys are great. I usually bring them a 12 pack and a few dollars and they do it while I wait. Saves me the trip back to pick the frames up.

Doc
Yes! Atom Blasting is nice to have in our backyard!

Doc
Yes! Atom Blasting is nice to have in our backyard!
IMG_4664 (4).JPG IMG_4629 (4).JPG

I taped the forks before hitting with primer.