Fox / Speedway? Model and Year?

I bought this mini at Windber that was in the pile of mini's by the entrance. Jeff says it's a Fox which the tank definitely is, however the rest of the frame and TC cover looks "Speedway". I know Fox bought out Speedway in the early seventies and morphed bits and pieces together. My question is what model and year was it manufactured. The engine tag suggests 1971 if I am reading it correctly. How rare is this mini and when it comes time to restore it will it matter much if I make changes to the foot peg mounting location? One mount is broken off and the pegs have been replaced with bracket mounts. Also does anyone know where I can find a replacement left side handlebar or both sides? Also a rear fender? Thanks!

Attachments

Wow awesome and thank you! Are these fairly common or rare and are parts available? I was reading some of the print talking about the handle bars being a weak link and breaking, well I guess this mini supports that comment. lol

markus

Wow awesome and thank you! Are these fairly common or rare and are parts available? I was reading some of the print talking about the handle bars being a weak link and breaking, well I guess this mini supports that comment. lol
They are out there, not super common like Rupps though. I would think you could maybe make some bars work for a Z50. Being a Taiwan made bike and from a company that copied Honda on a few parts you may be able use them. youve got a lot of the bike there, it would be worth trying to keep it pretty OG if you could, its got sort of a "best of" combination when you look at it. Speedway design, Grimeca style (may possible actual ones) wheels, Honda fold downs, etc... Makes for a interesting factory built bike.

They are out there, not super common like Rupps though. I would think you could maybe make some bars work for a Z50. Being a Taiwan made bike and from a company that copied Honda on a few parts you may be able use them. youve got a lot of the bike there, it would be worth trying to keep it pretty OG if you could, its got sort of a "best of" combination when you look at it. Speedway design, Grimeca style (may possible actual ones) wheels, Honda fold downs, etc... Makes for a interesting factory built bike.
Thanks again Markus, I was originally on the fence about picking up another "project" bike, however after some contemplation I felt that like you pretty much said "a lot of the bike is there" decided to pick it up and now it's growing on me as it is not a very common bike. Thank again and I will keep you posted on my direction with it.

1971_MB1A

I bought this mini at Windber that was in the pile of mini's by the entrance. Jeff says it's a Fox which the tank definitely is, however the rest of the frame and TC cover looks "Speedway". I know Fox bought out Speedway in the early seventies and morphed bits and pieces together. My question is what model and year was it manufactured. The engine tag suggests 1971 if I am reading it correctly. How rare is this mini and when it comes time to restore it will it matter much if I make changes to the foot peg mounting location? One mount is broken off and the pegs have been replaced with bracket mounts. Also does anyone know where I can find a replacement left side handlebar or both sides? Also a rear fender? Thanks!
Looks to be a Terra 444. I have one of those.

cfh

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional information. I was looking close at some of the photos and I think I know why there is only half a rear fender left. It looks like the original fender was for a smaller diameter tire/wheel and probably caught the tire at some point over the rough stuff and got bent forward or torn off. I will probably replace it with a big wheel Arctic Cat fender commonly found on eBay.

last part of the article. somehow it got mis-linked above...
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/terra_mbg_aug1971_6.jpg
Thanks again for the complete article. It says in the article it was manufactured in Taiwan. My question is was the final assembly done in the states? It would seem inefficient and costly to ship a bunch of Tecumseh engines, Comet TC's, and Sun wheels overseas just to be bolted on and shipped back to the USA. Anybody know the answer? Thanks.