Fox Sprite Help With Year

I have what I have identified as a Fox Sprite. Does anyone know if there is a serial number lookup to figure out what year it is?
SN looks like 013542. Looks like it hit something pretty hard. I slowly worked out the bends and straightened it out with a 20 ton press. Would be nice if there are fork kits that work with it.

Attachments

In my experience, early Fox bikes are difficult, if not impossible to date. There isn't a data set for serial #s that I know of. Yours is 'newer' than mine. My Sprite had a scrub brake, not clutch brake like yours. My guess is mine would be early/mid 60's, yours mid/late 60s. Serial #49349.

But I've been wrong before...

EDIT: Also, the gusseting at the forks looks like a modification, and that seat while very cool, is not OEM.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! The gusseting on the forks matches a Fox Sprite ad I found. Seems like you said, that it’s 1965-1970. The seat is a homemade piece of junk. Also the engine mount plate and the rear wheel mount plate holes are enlarged, likely by kids like me who didn’t know anything about mechanics when working on their minibikes. Going to cut that plate out and weld in a new one and patch the rear holes up with something. Seems like a really cool bike though, despite the hacks and damage.
Take care!

Very cool bike that's getting harder to find survivors of in decent condition. Thanks for saving her!

EDIT: A possible solution for your messed-up engine mount plate. I drilled out the engine mount holes to accept a 3/8" bolt. Use a large thick fender washer on the bottom. I was having a problem w torque shift and throwing chains. Seems to stay put now. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I am not an authority on Sprites but we restored one last year and it is 1970. It did not have a data plate, just a silver decal with the serial number on it. My bike also has a disc brake on it. I don't know if this will help or not but I thought I would share it. It is really fun to ride.

Attachments

markus

Its not a Sprite, Its a later 1970's version which was under the scamp name at that point,1974/75, You can tell by the OG color, and ID decal and of course the late model footpegs are the dead giveaway to the age of the bike (they didn't start to use that style till mid 1970's). I think they were model 6114

Here's is good example of that model:

Its not a Sprite, Its a later 1970's version which was under the scamp name at that point,1974/75, You can tell by the OG color, and ID decal and of course the late model footpegs are the dead giveaway to the age of the bike (they didn't start to use that style till mid 1970's). I think they were model 6114

Here's is good example of that model:

I don't want to hijack the OP here, but re: the footpeg mod, did that happen at the same time Fox changed from a pentagon shaped engine plate to rectangle? Approximately what year was that? Trying to put a date on my bike too.

markus

I don't want to hijack the OP here, but re: the footpeg mod, did that happen at the same time Fox changed from a pentagon shaped engine plate to rectangle? Approximately what year was that? Trying to put a date on my bike too.
No, but your bike is easy to spot as a being a 1968/69 version because of its footpegs still. Instead of having the little rubber inserts that were used 1963-1968 they are little louver type punch outs to grip your shoe. That was done in the Tecumseh era/last version of the pentagon shaped engine plate bikes. And as a fun fact the rubber inserts for the up to 1968 pegs lived on in the Fox lineup as they became the licence plate bumper on the rear fender of the Fox spoke wheel bikes (the first factory mini cycle/bikes to have the tilted engine plate available at the very end of 1968 as 1969 models) which were part number 201-183 :)

No, but your bike is easy to spot as a being a 1968/69 version because of its footpegs still. Instead of having the little rubber inserts that were used 1963-1968 they are little louver type punch outs to grip your shoe. That was done in the Tecumseh era/last version of the pentagon shaped engine plate bikes. And as a fun fact the rubber inserts for the up to 1968 pegs lived on in the Fox lineup as they became the licence plate bumper on the rear fender of the Fox spoke wheel bikes (the first factory mini cycle/bikes to have the tilted engine plate available at the very end of 1968 as 1969 models) which were part number 201-183 :)
You sir, are a wealth of information, and I thank you wholeheartedly. I hope you don't mind if I DM you soon. Have a few more Qs!
And to the OP AustinFoxSprite, welcome to the OldMiniBikes forum and good luck with your project!

”A possible solution for your messed-up engine mount plate. I drilled out the engine mount holes to accept a 3/8" bolt. Use a large thick fender washer on the bottom.”

I found a new steel engine mounting plate like the original for about $12. I’m going to cut the old one out and TIG weld in a new one.

Glad I found you guys!!

Thanks with the info! I think I’m going to leave it as original as possible after I weld in a new engine plate. All that will be left to tidy up from the abuse is welding shut some holes an idiot drilled into the frame and patches over the rear axle holes which are pretty ground up and have a shape that looks like they were drawn by a 4 year old. Maybe a couple tabs welded on to mount brakes. I’d like it to look like it rolled out of the factory when I’m done. One thing that won’t be original is the torque converter. It does however come from a company started by a Fox employee after Fox shut down in 1976. Comet. Also in Janesville, WI. It’s a bolt-on so I’m not fretting about it not being original. When I see what space is left after the torque converter I’ll figure out where to fit in a rear brake. Might have to do a non-period disk on the other side. Old brake was on the centrifugal clutch.

Engine looks good too. New rings and a spark plug should put some new pep in her step! They’re on the way too. Taking the governor out too.

Attachments

markus

Yea, I noticed your rear axle mounts looked a bit hammered. too bad they did that, Fox had a pretty neat setup on those originally. instead of sliding the engine to adjust the chain, the axle point was the adjustment. and thier adjusters kept the wheel straight with frame as the axle went into fixed holes hole of the adjusters (one side as the caliper mount) and the oblong holes of the plates adjusted of the bolts on the frame . Heres some shots from one I had at one point that I just cleaned up to resell as a cheap $300 rider.....basically just polished a turd :) It was the version right before yours, up to 1973 but but not a "sprite" as it had the later one piece wheels.

Heres what the adjusters looked like:

funky homemade foot brake lever worked good on it so I left it:

markus

Fox axles I believe were actually 3/8x24 7" long bolts on those. They had a funky stepped spacer in they wheel hub that reduced from 5/8" to 3/8 at the bearing. It served as both a reducer and an anti crush bushing for the bearings. If you dont have the wheels and going custom I would maybe see about a 1/2" axle and if it was doable to get a nut into the inset of the front forks and it would not be too much of a modification to ream/upsize the frame and fork axle mount holes. Looks like you bike was Originally green so yes I woud say its the Sprite version fox sprite1 (2).jpg

Honestly, thank you. I was wondering what was going on with the t i n y axle holes. I did find a 5/8 to 3/8 bushing that’ll fit. I did also find a reproduction “sprite” sticker on eBay so if I can find a can of Daytona Green spray paint then I’ll restore the bike to its “original” condition. With the exception of a 5 horse Briggs. Originally had a 2 1/2 horse Tecumseh but me being as big of guy as I am, I need the extra power. Should still be a sharp looking bike when I’m done