Fox Trail Scamp

Okay, so I drove an hour and a half to pick up a somewhat complete Trail Scamp last night. It is missing the clutch set up, so I'll just run a single clutch. No big deal. It does have the tank (in pretty nice shape), exhaust, and rear rack. My main concern is the forks. They're "high speed forks" if you know what I mean. I'd like to disassemble them and straighten them out. Does anybody have a good diagram of how these are built? Any ideas on straightening them? I'm probably not gonna go for a restore, so I'm not concerned with original at this time.

I'm also gonna need to look at some brakes. Did this have a drum brake from the factory? The guy told me something about swapping the rear wheel around and running a caliper (using the sprocket as my rotor). Anybody ever hear of this? If so, give me some ideas. I'd appreciate it.

It came with two tec motors. One has the lighting coil, the other does not. They're both pretty rough. He said he hadn't started them in years. He also said that a Briggs won't work with the angles motor mount because the dipper can't get to the oil. I've had a Briggs on an angled mount on a kart, and it was fine. Am I stuck to a tecumseh? If so, that's cool. I've been wanting to learn something other than clones anyway. I refuse to stick a clone on this. I'm pretty stoked. I'll throw some pics up soon. I know there has to be some Fox guys and gals on here somewhere. Help me out!

markus

There is a write somewhere on here concerning the Fox forks and disassembly, not sure where though. There are spring loaded pins that keep the lowers on the shaft. you spin the lower like 90 degrees to find the pin through the small hole drilled on the inner side of the lower just a bit from the top, push the pin in and pull the lower down over it SLOWLY. do it easy because you need to be ready to hold that pin again as it gets uncovered or it and the spring holds it in launches across your garage :laugh:
small pins and springs are the little guys just below the axle and above sthe suspension springs on the left side of photo

I find fox forks pretty easy to straighten, the inner section is solid rod, care still has to be taken with the press or even cheater bar and vise depending on the bend to get them back straight and not wavy but you dont have to worry about crushing the tubing.

Here is a trail tramp I parted out couple years ago, you can see the brake on the back and how its attached and how it was on all the versions of this particular frame (the front brake was street scamp and trail tramp bikes and was also a bolt-on option in the catalog)

There is a write somewhere on here concerning the Fox forks and disassembly, not sure where though. There are spring loaded pins that keep the lowers on the shaft. you spin the lower like 90 degrees to find the pin through the small hole drilled on the inner side of the lower just a bit from the top, push the pin in and pull the lower down over it SLOWLY. do it easy because you need to be ready to hold that pin again as it gets uncovered or it and the spring holds it in launches across your garage :laugh:
small pins and springs are the little guys just below the axle and above sthe suspension springs on the left side of photo

I find fox forks pretty easy to straighten, the inner section is solid rod, care still has to be taken with the press or even cheater bar and vise depending on the bend to get them back straight and not wavy but you dont have to worry about crushing the tubing.

Here is a trail tramp I parted out couple years ago, you can see the brake on the back and how its attached and how it was on all the versions of this particular frame (the front brake was street scamp and trail tramp bikes and was also a bolt-on option in the catalog)
Markus, this is the exact bike I bought. This helps a lot! Thanks so much. I'll work on those forks this weekend. Any idea on running a briggs, if I decide to go that route?

Markus, that pic is great. I can see the brakes on the front and rear. I've got the same setup. I also have some kind of a drum on the back as well. It's on the opposite side of the sprocket. Is it possible that these could have come with a drum brake as well? There is a mount of some kind on the opposite side of the sprocket, and it looks like a caliper mount? I wonder if someone assembled it with the swing arm upside down?

markus

They only came with disc brake, the rear wheel you have may just be off something else. Someone recently posted one of these versions that they converted the rear wheel to an internal drum wheel. if the current drum brake assy is all there and working I would just use that, the wheel itself will be bigger and beefier than the super skinny wheel fox used on those. If its not all hooked up it would not be that hard to make work, most of those units only require something to hold the brake plate from rotating, the cable hold and adjuster are usually on the plate already etc..

Far as fitting something other than a tec HS on there, anything is possible. I dont know what briggs deemed safe for for tilted application. But why not give the 2 Tecs you got with it a shot first though, they actually fit the bike, everything else is gonna be like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

What do you do when your wife is at work, and you're stuck at home with a sick kid? Simple. You bring your new mini into the family room and take pictures of it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Well, the forks seem to be really stuck. I'll have to take them to my buddy's shop. I've got some plans for this frame. I won't chop it up, but I do have some plans for a custom swing arm and custom forks. I might make this a big tire bike. Always wanted one. If so, I'm selling the tank! I can't wait to tear into the Tec motor! If it's not too bad, it'll be totally rebuilt. I just need to find a flywheel for a lighting coil. Can I still buy these new?

capguncowboy

HA - I figured I'd have to sneak my bikes inside when the wife was gone. It would just a nice warm place to work on them until spring rolls in. I asked her expecting her to put that foot down, but she was actually cool with it. She just said to make sure it stays in the office. My office almost as big as my garage, so that works out great.