Fox Trail Tramp... almost done. Brakes & Seat a challenge!

copyman

Finally nearing the finish line on fox rebuild. This has been my first "complete" restoration with original color powder coated paint (see pics). My other two rebuilds (Heathkit Hilltoppers) have been leaving bikes correct & original without painting.

Problem now is getting the seat & disc brakes. Have the lights & engine but not on bike yet. Seat shouldn't be a problem to have made, ( a member recommended a few people from this forum or if anyone sees this post and can do it please contact me. I can borrow an original seat to copy.

Brakes are going to be the biggest challenge! I've been looking for these brakes for months. No aftermarkets I've seen look like they will work? Anyone have one or two Fox brake assemblies to sell or any ideas where I can get brakes to fit? (see attached brake pic I found on internet)

Thanks for the help

Brake caliper installed.jpg

65498707592__4C587C07-6F8D-4EC6-A07B-21AD9ED7DCFB.jpg 65498707592__4C587C07-6F8D-4EC6-A07B-21AD9ED7DCFB.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Looking good.

I’m finishing up my 1970 Fox Condor restoration. I was super lucky because the brake assembly was included in the box of parts when I bought it. Those brake assemblies are tough to locate. Almost as rare as the fork boot covers.

As far as the seat, your best bet in my opinion is to find a local upholstery trim shop(motorcycle seats, car interior, boat seats)that will do small projects. They are very good at it. I found a couple that would take on the mini bike seat project. i have had 2 seats made this way. The seat for my 69 Ruttman wild Goose was done by a local shop. I had no prototype to give them. I had to give them a bunch of pictures from the internet and my specs on a crud drawing. I was happy with the results.

good luck with your project.
1A683744-937D-4290-BBB7-16747733895E.jpeg

copyman

Looking good.

I’m finishing up my 1970 Fox Condor restoration. I was super lucky because the brake assembly was included in the box of parts when I bought it. Those brake assemblies are tough to locate. Almost as rare as the fork boot covers.

As far as the seat, your best bet in my opinion is to find a local upholstery trim shop(motorcycle seats, car interior, boat seats)that will do small projects. They are very good at it. I found a couple that would take on the mini bike seat project. i have had 2 seats made this way. The seat for my 69 Ruttman wild Goose was done by a local shop. I had no prototype to give them. I had to give them a bunch of pictures from the internet and my specs on a crud drawing. I was happy with the results.

good luck with your project.
View attachment 282939
Your bike also looks great! Thanks for info on seat. As you putting an HS40 engine on it?

Where did you get the Fox decals on gas tank? I bought a pair of decals online and they were too small.

Take care

Your bike also looks great! Thanks for info on seat. As you putting an HS40 engine on it?

Where did you get the Fox decals on gas tank? I bought a pair of decals online and they were too small.

Take care
I will be installing the original HS40 that came with it along with the original side exhaust pipe and chrome heat deflector. The Tank decals were already applied when I bought the bike. So not much help with that.

Finally nearing the finish line on fox rebuild. This has been my first "complete" restoration with original color powder coated paint (see pics). My other two rebuilds (Heathkit Hilltoppers) have been leaving bikes correct & original without painting.

Problem now is getting the seat & disc brakes. Have the lights & engine but not on bike yet. Seat shouldn't be a problem to have made, ( a member recommended a few people from this forum or if anyone sees this post and can do it please contact me. I can borrow an original seat to copy.

Brakes are going to be the biggest challenge! I've been looking for these brakes for months. No aftermarkets I've seen look like they will work? Anyone have one or two Fox brake assemblies to sell or any ideas where I can get brakes to fit? (see attached brake pic I found on internet)

Thanks for the help

View attachment 282930

View attachment 282928 View attachment 282928
The Fox rear caliper looks very similar to the GoPed Bigfoot caliper, might be easier to come across, may have to massage it a little for mounting up