FS Burnishing for minibike parts (pics)

I've had a few jobs like JJ's and Manchester's which have some steel parts in them. There is no problem with burnishing them and they look great when done. Time to time I get a PM about what to do next with the steel parts?
I think clear zinc makes the most sense in most cases. Remember though they will be dipped in acid just before the zinc plating and this can dull the burnish. No big deal.
I'm a big fan of nickel plating over a burnish finish because it's just reflective enough give some extra "wow". Nickel is pretty tough too, but would require occasional polishing. It seems to reflect a warmer color of light.
Chrome is a candy thin coating over nickel or bare steel. It actually protects the nickel in the conventional plating process. Chrome reflects a very realistic band of light.
Cadmium is period correct in a lot of older materials, but is also pretty week from my experience.

I've worked with Ted Tine at ted@tedtine.com in CT. I do burnishing work for him and he does plating for me. We've been talking about the need to have access to low volume plating services like what I do here. I'd invite anyone here to reach out to him with plating questions. He is in our hobby and goes by margay here on the forum.

Now for Manchester's parts. These showed up today and they were ready to go back same day. The Lil Indians were in really nice shape and just needed a quick blast and cleanup around the lip. Thanks again Manchester.

Divouneh

Great subject, very interesting.... I have a second engin for my RV 90; I was looking how to «harepairha» the cover [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

It's been awhile since I've posted some pics on the forum here. It's only because timing with my day job. Work always gets in the way of fun.
Those wheels I did for crazycarts4us really turned out great. We talked on the phone. And like so many of us in this hobby, we discovered we aren't so different... I don't want to reveal too much, but we were the kids who kept the boxes to our toys. I know a lot of you were like that too!

Chuck G sent me challenging parts to restore and this makes for some good B-and-A pics. The Reed muffler was welded as one piece and full of carbon. The last pic on the thread is inside the Reed. I'm almost embarrassed to say how long the job took because of how rough they were, but my standards are high and I don't return junk.

Inside the carbon covered muffler. Look at it now! I had to burn it out, blast, then burnish.

pomfish

Astonishing!
Are those Rupp Turbine wheels?
I have a set of 4" which look as crusty as the before pics.
Not into go carts so they will go up for sale, it is just interesting to see how well they can clean up.+
Great work.

My neighbor Maverick1 came by with some parts yesterday and I was excited to get a jump on them. I could tell right away they were high quality Yamaha castings and would turn out nice. Thanks buddy. Come by tomorrow and pick them up, or when you have time.

Wow! All I can say is amazing. It is so much fun coming to your house and looking at your projects and talking to you. Still shaking my head that you live across the trail from me and I did not know it untill seeing your great work on OldMiniBikes. Thanks Sam and see you tomorrow.

I got another set of wheels from Manchester today and had them ready to go the same day. They were in very nice shape and needed the typical blast and burnish.
This will be the last job until I get back around June 10th. Thanks!

I will need some work done soon and I will be sending my parts to Sam.I have had work done by Sam In the past and his work is no less than amazing.Nobody better, period.

Sam is getting a Monster box from us early next week. Should keep him busy for a month! The finished products are always above expectations.
Thanks Sam!!

Looks like I've missed some action here! Sorry about not keeping up on posting pics.

I got some Lil Indians and carbs from dbadgely. I was happy to see a handful of slide carbs because I've never done a set of these. D tells me these Dellortos were made for several Italian bikes including the Harley Davidson by Aermacchi.
The Tillotson carbs take about 20 minutes to do all the safety wiring and these were a breeze by comparison. These required blasting to remove the contaminants, oxidation, and old plating. They each spent an hour in the burnisher. Thanks D!