FS Burnishing for minibike parts (pics)

I was doing some trading with a friend Bobby in MS who specializes in Power Products engines. He found me through a mutual acquaintance and needed a Homelite K82 piston. All I had was a use low-time one which I had burnished. I sent him the piston and some rods and told him to just pay the shipping. He calls back up and said, "how did you do that to that piston?" I explained, and he said "I got a box full of low time pistons I'd like done." I asked Bobby to send me some tough jobs and see how he liked the results. Here's just some of that work.

Since then we have not exchanged a single dollar. He's been very generous and supplied me with everything I needed to build a modified AH58 in exchange for burnishing.

Here are some pics of the AH58 he paid me with and I had to burnish it as well. The magnesium cases don't burnish like other metals and I'll likely paint them red.

Reassembly

Here was a job I did for a karting buddy in the North East. He's cleaned up all the "best of show" trophies this year.

I was really happy to get these Yamaha cases from my neighbor Rodney.

Dyna Drive from my buddy Ted in Phoenix.

K78 and kart stuff for myself.

markus

Here are some pics of the AH58 he paid me with and I had to burnish it as well. The magnesium cases don't burnish like other metals and I'll likely paint them red.
Probably already know this (just didn't see one in the pics), but the recoil housing is magnesium as well....at least on the AH61's I have/had....I was bummed about that when I blasted some of the parts out :laugh:

Last edited:
Markus. Yeah, those magnesium recoil housings are hard to find! I wish there was some way to burnish mag.

In the meantime this 58 has a shaved flywheel and cast cover. It will have to be belt started since the crank threads are RH on the FW side. The starter cup is pinned to the FW to keep it from spinning.

These were a few more of Bobby's parts.

The one fan cover without the holes was marked "Palmini PP" on the back.

Dan from the burbs of Canton sent me what I think are Aggie wheels. Forgive me for not knowing exactly. He had spent some time on the fronts to make them nice. All I had to do was blast the rear end and burnish for 1.5 hrs.

Noel got ahold of me and needed his 4-stroker exhaust cleaned up. The RLV baffles have 1/8" holes which love to retain my pins. I used a cutting compound instead of burnishing to clean up the spark arrestors. I burnished the headers. I'll color buff them before sending them back. Noel will think he is looking at chrome for his new 4-smoker.

My Buddy Doug in Wisconsin sent me 9 Bonanza and Bonanza styled rims with a rear sprocket. It was a big job with lots of blasting before the burnishing.
I will donate $100 toward the Ronald McDonald House after this job. I worked at McDonalds when I was a teen and should never have left that place. I learned so much about single cell production modules and "lean thinking". McDonalds provide's affordable housing near hospitals for hard working middle American people like us.

Where do I begin with Carmine's job? It's a big one! Two 9hr days to get it knocked out. Lot's of paint stripping, nickel stripping, and blasting before the final burnishing, but it all turned out great! Let me show you the finished pics.

Last edited:
Thank you Manchester, Ratfink, and everyone else for looking at this work. As promised I donated to RMDH because one of our good members has told me how important it was to his family.

Transaction Summary
Gift Date: 9/22/18
Gift Amount: $100.00
Donor Name: sam bennett
Donor Address:
Donor Email Address:
Payment Information: Visa, ************4387, 7/2022
No goods or services were exchanged in receipt for this donation, which is therefore tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowable by law.
RMHC of Madison, Inc.
2716 Marshall Ct.
Madison, WI 53705
EIN: 39-1655790

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun busting those parts out. Not sure how many McCulloch guys are here, but here are some nice MC parts my buddy Karl sent me.

I got a few more parts from Doug in WI. It was kinda funny because he had completely forgot he's sent them! These too were stripped, blasted, and burnished. Thanks Doug.