Fuel Tank relocation, paint, and other stuff done to my minibike

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my ongoing mini bike project.
Decided to relocate the real gas tank above and still use the fake tank as trim for the real tank.
Also did a bit of painting, removed muffler and added a straight pipe, Added a rear swing arm with rear shocks...

Before:

After:

Thomas

Just in case anyone is interested....
I first sanded the plastic fake tank with 60grit sand paper, making it rough.
Next added west systems epoxy with no thickener and added fiberglass cloth. Did this a few times(underneath as well).
Next added thickened west systems epoxy, peanut butter consistency.
Sanded.
Sanded.
Added a light skim of bondo to fill in minor holes and scratches. Sanded and repeated bondo application.
Between bondo applications I sprayed a primer and sanded off(120grit) to see the low spots(where primer did not sand away).
Painted, etc...

t

Decided to change the color on the tank and keep it like the rims.
Also painted the metal housing red.

Just waiting on my new steel header and air filter & Adapter.

t

Did you fab the swing arm?
Yes sir.
I found some(approx.) 2" pipe, cut to about 3" long (x2). Found some decent bearings that fit really snug inside pipe.
Each pipe housing has 2 bearings separated by a spacer. Bolt with washers, etc.. going through and welded to cutoff lower tube.
I didn't move the location of the original frame dimensions, just cut the bottom tubing where the 'swing arm' bolt came out.
I did add my ownvertical(square steel tube) frame supports forward of the swing arm mech. at bottom(supporting the upper framing and seat.

t

Installed new adapter and Air filter.

Atm, fitting the new exhaust header, flange. Got the 11" high version without the muffler. I had a similar small muffler that I can screw on or off. I had to thread the end of the header pipe as all I had on hand was a full threaded pipe coupler.
Sounds great with and without muffler... idle has a 'potato..potato..potato' exhaust sound.
Without the muffler, higher rpm's get a bit loud hehe.

t

Wow! I looked at the whole thread of your project...incredible work delray. Professional, clean looking, and even zerk fittings for the swing arm(s) :D

Love the tank, shocks really look good on it as well. Btw, how much travel do you get on the rear shocks(+-)?
Top job on your project, attention to detail that is practical/functional to boot.
Puts mine to shame hehe :)

@BonanzaBadBoy
Thanks! not too much time, mostly prepping, masking off areas...

t

Last edited:

delray

my travel is only about 1-2 inch. i am using a very stiff spring. lot like a vintage spring would travel. works great for the kind of riding i us it for. mostly pavement and some grass riding. the best thing about my bike and your bike is modifying them. so many different things and ways of building them. i just might have to do another in the future.....:rolleyes:

my travel is only about 1-2 inch. i am using a very stiff spring. lot like a vintage spring would travel. works great for the kind of riding i us it for. mostly pavement and some grass riding. the best thing about my bike and your bike is modifying them. so many different things and ways of building them. i just might have to do another in the future.....:rolleyes:
Yeah On mine I get about the same travel. The rear shocks I'm using, I believe are from a mountain bike(rear mono shock).

Btw, when rear shocks compress, or when you put some weight on rear, how much does your chain loosen?
Mine get's a little more play but still ok. Like how you added the chain tensioner for the rear drive chain.

Was thinking about trying to make my swing arm pivot at the jackshaft....looked a bit involved. I'm guessing by doing it that way there would be no change in chain slackness/tension of the chain would remain the same no matter the travel of rear shocks?

t

Last edited:

buckeye

I've seen Delray's bike in person. Incredible.:thumbsup:
He offered for me to ride it and I was skeeered. .afraid I scratch it.

I would think your idea of a chain tension may solve your issue?

Again, makes,a Warrior/Heat more tolerable.