Fury Bird - knowledge gathering

When I was a young kid in the 70s, my dad made picked up a little red Fury Bird mini bike at the local auction house. We still have it, just drug it out of the shed yesterday, now i'm wondering what I should do with it. I'd like to know more about the company that built it, how many were produced and whatever other details would be helpful before I do something I'll regret. Are there many of these bikes out there yet?
The 3hp Briggs will need a lot of work...or I could buy a Predator to replace it. Obviously the purists will tell me to leave it original, but if my goal is to get a decent performing little bike, what's really my best option?

Attachments

Last edited:
Welcome to the OldMiniBikes CrustyBird...!

Your best option in my opinion, is to thoroughly clean up, then assemble your bike as original.

Original motor too.

To me, it appears you have an original survivor mini bike.

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes CrustyBird...!

Your best option in my opinion, is to thoroughly clean up, then assemble your bike as original.

Original motor too.

To me, it appears you have an original survivor mini bike.

Thanks RobertC! Yeah that's kind of what I thought too...hate to bastardize it, but would love to get a little better performance than the 3hp briggs. I'm not quite sure if that's the original engine or not...I know it's the one we got with it back in approx 1975 or 1976.
I started the teardown today, but only to get it cleaned up right now. I'd definitely like to keep the orginal look...was thinking of a repaint, but maybe just a cleanup and keep it the way it is. I did find a repop fork decal, but it's not exact...might try to get another custom made.

capguncowboy

I doubt the Briggs engine is factory, even if it is from the correct time frame. The white portion of the seat is made from heat pleated vinyl. It looks like they've come apart and I doubt that can be fixed, but Karen (@manchester1) can tell you for sure.

It's a cool project though! If you decide to give it a detailed cleaning, be sure to start a thread in the projects section.

DaddyJohn

Obviously the purists will tell me to leave it original, but if my goal is to get a decent performing little bike, what's really my best option?
Finding a Baja, Motovox, Monster Moto, etc. Chinese minibike and doing a Predator swap would be my advice for higher performance.
Your cost outlay would be pretty low...

Otherwise, that little bike is awesome as is, as many have already stated. It's the original Angry Bird!

Found a reproduced decal; love it!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=123687502509

Last edited: