Gabrielle (Daniel) Coop's - "G Thang" Motovox MBX10 - (Chinese Class)

Congratulations on getting a set of forks. I bought 2 from them a couple months ago and wanted another set and they were no longer on the website. And those pocket bike rims with street tires make that bike so slick.

Those forks have been highly sought after for a while. Wanted them for a DB30 I had a while back. Kept visiting the website and always sold out. I ended up selling the DB30. Glad to see Motovox was able to hook you up!!

Daniel Coop

Not a lot to report, still waiting on our shipment from Hotrodminibikes.com, but got our forks from Motovox and had them mocked up within 30 minutes of delivery. Gabrielle spent a few hours de-stickering and tearing the rest of the bike down before then.

And in case anyone is wondering, no we don't live in an apartment, and yes we have a garage with a shop, but it has been freezing cold here in Colorado, and we are dealing with only clean new parts at this point and my wife loves me...lol

Last edited:
And in case anyone is wondering, no we don't live in an apartment, and yes we have a garage with a shop, but it has been freezing cold here in Colorado, and we are dealing with only clean new parts at this point and my wife loves me...lol
My wife just shakes her head and walks away mumbling something unintelligible when she discovers me building something in the house.:laugh:
......then I don't get a word out of her for about a week!:shrug:

My wife just shakes her head and walks away mumbling something unintelligible when she discovers me building something in the house.:laugh:
......then I don't get a word out of her for about a week!:shrug:
Hahaha, I'm thinking about testing the waters with a trike in the extra room or kitchen. I'm expecting this response but she liked the trike when I brought it home so we'll see.

Daniel Coop

Parts finally arrived from Hotrodminibikes.com after being delayed due to weather via UPS. Have decided to upgrade the motor a little too now with 18lb HP springs and stamped 1.3 ratio rocker arms and an PVL aluminum flywheel. Parts are on the way from AGK and Dyno Cams and I will upgrade the motor after mock up.

Daniel Coop

We have hydros! Yeah, the stock wheels made their way back on the project for 2 reasons;
1. I have been unable to find a machinist willing to even help me make spacers/adapters for it and if I do, I know that I will pay a hefty fee.
2. I had another idea after getting the MBX11 front fork assembly, that will allow for a little more comfort and occasional trail riding...

If you can make sense of my doodle. I plan on mounting 2 shocks on the rear, cutting the faux suspended seat brackets off and adding 2 Heim joints and a hinge flipped upside down. If I can pull it off, it'll be sweet.

I like the suspended seat idea. That should be a very straight forward mod with the shape of the frame. :thumbsup:

I don't think I would hinge it at the front of the seat though. I believe it would work best if you hinged it where the seat base meets the main part of the frame. Where the bottom of the seat goes from flat to up the hill. I believe it would bind at this point with the hinge all the way forward.

Doug

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

That's where I plan to mount Heim joints... Further forward of that is where the seat base bolts up to the front. I need some kind of spacer and movement forward of the Heim joints to keep the seat center. I can picture it better than I can describe it. Otherwise I would have to unbolt the front, and weld in a new bracket and then somehow bolt the seat to it, because there'd only be the back bolts holding the seat on.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Not a lot to report... After trying to lube and remove the original, rock hard grips to remove the original brake handle, the only option was to cut them off. Also drilled out and installed adjustable engine mounting plate.

Daniel Coop

GX200 Mocked in with it's 3RD exhaust... I had originally ordered the shotgun style exhaust from Hotrodminibikes, but after deciding to (possibly now?) suspend the seat, I realized the exhaust would now be in my way of the shocks and returned it for an under seat exit exhaust. When I got the exchanged exhaust however, it's RLV was welded on crooked and smashed into the rear fender. Shaun over at Hotrodminibikes, was gracious after learning about it and shipped out the 3RD exhaust free of charges with a prepaid return label to put the defective one back in the box and mail it back. I also decided to try out my Hilliard's Extreme Duty clutch on this bike/motor instead of the standard Max Torque for my own personal comparison. We're using a 12t #35 clutch and I have ordered a DB sprocket adapter and a 57t split sprocket for it. Hopefully it will give her nice power and top speed without being too Jerky. I used a mini bike speed calculator to figure out a top speed of just over 50mph. I now also plan to use 18lb 'HP' springs and stamped 1.2 ratio rocker arms along with a new PVL cast aluminum flywheel. Our goal is a mild 5,800-6000RPM motor which with a little gearing will do 50mph. I still need to figure out our fuel tank situation.
My plan with this one, is to get it all together and a running/working bike before I break everything back down for any fabrication and finish work, so when it all goes back together, there's no surprises for me. A mistake I made on my first mini bike build that came back to bite me.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Order showed up Friday afternoon from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. Had Gabrielle yank off the back wheel and sprocket but when we tried installing the DB sprocket we realized we had an issue

The center hole on the DB sprocket adapter is actually smaller than the flange on the Motovox wheel. I always assumed they were the same...

Luckily, I had an extra set of DB wheels I just had to wrestle the rotten tires off of. Only problem is that I need to order bearings for them, as I have never had any luck removing bearings from these wheels without destroying them. While Gabrielle worked on the Motovox, I decided to finally break out my stretched DB30s and bring it's Childish Concepts Racing built clone motor to life for the first time. I had been fighting to get the brakes properly bled and functional for a month or so now and finally got them working with their new custom length brake lines. Damn things have been a thorn in my side! Filled her up with synthetic oil and premium gas and after initially flooding it out and swapping spark plugs, I removed the UNI foam air filter, opened the choke and she fired on the first pull.[video=youtube_share;ur7kUsxGYIw]https://youtu.be/ur7kUsxGYIw[/video]. I don't know why it won't show, but link is https://youtu.be/ur7kUsxGYIw
Only thing left was the final payoff test ride[video=youtube_share;QiezpZVa_KY]https://youtu.be/QiezpZVa_KY[/video]

Daniel Coop

Not much to report as my Sensation project has been eating up my time and money but we finally got our bearings from OldMiniBikes,
so it's time to get cracking on with this one a little more. Wanted to share an observation I made with these DB wheels and sprocket adapters. There may already be a thread on this but anyway... After test fitting the sprocket adapter on the wheel, I noticed how much thicker the adapter was from the stock sprocket and thought that the stock 6 hub bolts looked a little short, and sure enough, when you go to thread in the bolts, they start, but quickly run out of thread after only a couple turns. As you can see,
the bolts are a bit short. Granted a lock washer is holding it up a thread or so in the pic, because it's not tightened down, but it leads me to wonder... How come they don't offer a little longer bolt package with these sprocket adapters or even mention it to the consumers? Seems like a safety issue almost, to the unwitting or inexperienced builder. I surely don't trust a few threads on a high RPM part, especially when I am throwing 13-14HP at it, spinning back behind me like a saw blade. I love my local Ace hardware, I can't tell you how many times I have been there searching for nuts and bolts. They always have what I need. The
stock size on the right, my new longer M6 × 1.00 replacement bolts from Ace on the left.
Definitely feel a little better and safer having a little thread poking through the hub on back side.

Attachments

Daniel, I don't know if you have any experience with the run of the mill black allen bolts but they rust at the first drop of water.... At least in my experience with them. I went to Ace and was looking for the same bolt and bought Stainless M6x1.00's. Just an FYI...

Doug