Garage Photo Fun

1967 Lil' Indian 500 survivor that I found on local CL last summer. [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] pegged this as a factory-assembled model (vs. kit) because of the kickstand and the Prairie Blue Vibro color.

Do you have helmets that are too old to wear, but you just cannot stand to throw them away? This multi-color Bell M2 Bubba Shobert replica is my favorite helmet ever. I got it in about 1989 or '90 to replace the red and white M2 that I broke when I did a big face plant at the Castle Rock TT in Washington in 1988 (Sh*t, 30 years ago!). Note the scuff on the forehead and the crack at the back of the eye port on the white/red helmet. Whammo. I've never fully recovered from all of the injuries.

I know a couple of guys who paint helmets, and have thought about getting a modern helmet painted up like the Bubba lid.

Last edited:
Still more garage items to photograph. We all know that pursuing a minibike obsession leads to the acquisition of various landscape equipment for donor motors. I have brought home so many derelict mowers, edgers and tillers... But this leads to the occasional arrival of items that you just cannot bear to dismantle. Here is a 1966 Cooper Klipper 20" reel lawnmower that my wife bought at the original owner's estate sale in our neighborhood while I was away at a race. It came with the original papers and some rare spare parts. How happy I am to have this machine, and to have a partner who knew that it would be important to me. Of course mowers such as this really only work well on lawns that are putting green-flat, so I don't actually use it. :laugh:

Garage photos continue. Here's another Lil' Indian. This one could be an entry in the ugly seat thread, I suppose. [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION] said the frame is probably from around 1969 and it most likley had a two-speed tranny. The frame is in pretty good shape, but not much else is original. Someone added a home made scrub brake. The whole bike was quite worn when I got it ten years ago. After sitting for several years as garage art, last winter I swapped in a 1971 lawn edger motor and my pal whipped up custom hardware on his lathe to install replacement wheels. A couple of other items were added, such as new clutch, and now it's a good runner. I've got it back in line again for cosmetic updates, and planning another trip to my friend's shop to swap out the scrub brake for a correct disc setup.

Still working through the garage photo series. This Cooper Klipper power reel mower is just like the one my dad had when I was a boy. The Briggs & Stratton model 5S cast iron engine is date-stamped March, 1952. It starts right up and mows like a champ. My dad's mower was parked sometime in the '60s when he got a new rotary mower, and then met its end in my 9th grade shop class. I had wanted a cast iron B&S for a long time and was glad to find this one a couple of years ago on CL up in Marysville, Wash.

My wife calls them the Scooter Twins.

They're a matched pair of 1980 Honda C70s. This was a local CL find several years ago. One bike has a few more than 300 miles, and the other now has about 750. The VINs are 84 units apart. The original Washington license plates are consecutively numbered. They are in identical condition and neither bike has ever been dropped. I do ride them both around the neighborhood and to the market and in the local parade and of course to the Honda shop up the road. Each one also has a front basket and a windshield.

Check your insurance coverage on the ones not roadworthy/licensed. I had a pair of enduro bikes I had built for 2 of my sons for Christmas some years ago. Couple of days before they were stolen.

Called the insurance company and was told they wouldn't cover them under my homeowners as since they had lights on them they should have been insured as roadworthy on separate policies. They didn't care that these were parts and pieces from multiple bikes put together, not titled, or that they were for non licensed drivers for off road use. They looked at them as if I had walked into the local Kawasaki shop and bought them new.

Anywho, must be a guy thing. We're getting read to sell our current home, and looking to buy another. Told the wife the new place has to have land, and either a stand alone garage or a place to put one. Don't give a darn about the house.

More fun in the garage last night. Friends brought over a 1960 Go Kart Mfg. / Big Bear Scrambler minibike and a 2001 Ducati MH900e (Mike Hailwood 900 Evoluzione) to photograph. They couldn't be much more different, but neither of these bikes gives up any coolness to the other. The Big Bear Scrambler is 58 years old! It doesn't get ridden a lot, but it is a runner. The Ducati is a low production styling exercise. It's been preserved and perfectly detailed for long term static display.