Garelli 50 4speed engine oil and general questions

Hello. This engine is on a Broncco T/C-4, I think it is a 1969.

I am wondering if anyone knows the years this engine was used by Garelli, if it has a model number or name, where I can find a parts or service book, and...

What kind of oil goes in the cavity that I have pictured below? There was only a little in it when I started my project and I am not sure what kind of oil it is.

Also any recommendation/advice for someone who is opening up the engine and transmission is welcome.

Thanks everybody!

If you are talking about the clutch/transmission area, I can't answer your specific question because I am not familiar with that engine, but on motorcycles and mopeds I have owned, it is typically ATF fluid.

Again, I can't be sure for your specific engine, but if the oil that came out was reddish in color, then it was likely ATF.

markus

Model 354 plug NGK B8E champion N-3 gap should be .020-.024

points gap should be .014-.018 @ 23 deg BTDC there are timin marks on the divider wall between ignition and output sprocket and on the flywheel

engine mixture 20:1 original reccomends using SAE 30 2 stroke oil

Gearbox oil is SAE 30 oil approx 1 pint should be a dipstick on the filler plug.

(info from "minibike service manual" 2nd edition 1972)

Last edited:

mopar70

Model 354 plug NGK B8E champion N-3 gap should be .020-.024

points gap should be .014-.018 @ 23 deg BTDC there are timin marks on the divider wall between ignition and output sprocket and on the flywheel

engine mixture 20:1 original reccomends using SAE 30 2 stroke oil

Gearbox oil is SAE 30 oil approx 1 pint should be a dipstick on the filler plug.

(info from "minibike service manual" 2nd edition 1972)
Your right. My Indians take the same. I believe that the motors were made by the same company

Great! I really appreciate it. I am typing this with greasy fingers now!:smile: trying to figure out why the clutch isn't working...i think it is the springs, they were tightened the whole way!

it was the springs, everything looks real good and lightly used, but someone definitely had this opened up before me and did not do a good job putting it back together.

Springs were tightened to the point of zero spring, gears were all out of alignment, etc.

Speaking of aligning the gears... any tricks to keep everything lined up nice when I slap this thing back together?

Now I just need some permatex gasket maker and then onto the electrical system...:grind:

Garelli Broncco 4speed, help me ID it & get 'er runnin'

Gents, I inherited a late 60s to 70s Garelli Broncco (pretty sure it's a 4 speed, haven't ridden or started it in 16+ years). I had the title with all the pertinent info (year/make/model), but I've misplaced it. Can anyone help me out getting this bike ID'd and where to find any service manual / wiring diagram / parts information.
The bike came from Ogden, Utah; and now it resides in SoCal.... there are quite a few Moped resources nearby... but I figured I'd give this a try first.

Thanks in Advance,

Dirt

Again, thank you so much for everyone's help and advice!:bowdown:

I have been coming along very well with this project and got over most of the hurdles so far.

I am in the painting and re-assembly stages at this point. I am not restoring it to the original yellow/chrome...(sorry to whoever this may offend:anon.sml:) but I am tapping more into the Fantic roots with Red, White, and Blue and some custom Broncco decals for the tank.

My last question is about the transmission and I hope to find some answers from someone who has ridden/drove one of these that has the 4 speed engine. What is it like shifting through the gears? When I put the case back together I was careful to align all the gears, but it sometimes sticks going through the gears as I shift it sitting on my work bench. When I move the sprocket a bit, it will then shift into the next gear. Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it freely go through all the gears without having to move the sprocket a bit?

Thanks guys!

P.S. any other Broncco owners/enthusiasts thinking about going to windber this year?:scooter:

Hi new to the site. I have been looking for my first bike back I had back in 67-69
it was a Garelli 50. I want to see a picture and find one to restore. I just remember
the model just what it looked like. Can anybody help me
MTRob

Again, thank you so much for everyone's help and advice!:bowdown:

I have been coming along very well with this project and got over most of the hurdles so far.

I am in the painting and re-assembly stages at this point. I am not restoring it to the original yellow/chrome...(sorry to whoever this may offend:anon.sml:) but I am tapping more into the Fantic roots with Red, White, and Blue and some custom Broncco decals for the tank.

My last question is about the transmission and I hope to find some answers from someone who has ridden/drove one of these that has the 4 speed engine. What is it like shifting through the gears? When I put the case back together I was careful to align all the gears, but it sometimes sticks going through the gears as I shift it sitting on my work bench. When I move the sprocket a bit, it will then shift into the next gear. Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it freely go through all the gears without having to move the sprocket a bit?

Thanks guys!

P.S. any other Broncco owners/enthusiasts thinking about going to windber this year?:scooter:
Hi there mate, how did you go with the shifting of gears