Gas price.

delray

My first job was pumping gas at full service ARCO gas station, family owned and operated.
Having full service is another set of eyes seeing under people's hoods and making them aware of leaky hoses, leaks, etc. when we were checking the oil.
We didn't do it to solicit business as our garage business was always very busy, we just wanted to make sure people had less of a chance of break downs on the highway. With no cellphones back then, breaking down was a scary proposition.
Folks like my sister never check under the hood, she just gasses and goes. Book smart and street stupid. Try to educate her and it goes in one ear and out the other.
So for her and thousands like her a person who knows what to look for is a Godsend.

Our garage always had free air as well with a dang good compressor, not a wimpy one like at Sheetz that struggles to get to 45 psi.
Still think there is a a market for full service even if price is more. If they advertise FULL SERVICE right next to the price they would get business for sure.

Later,
Keith
also that was good business treating your customers like that. people appreciated things like that and would come back. all those type of stations are long gone around my neighborhood. i too can remember many times hanging out on a summer night at my buddys gas station with my Big block nova park off to the side and helping him out with full service customers and locking up later in the night to go cruising in my nova and go scare the little poeple with gear drive 468 4-speed muncie and tank load of racing gas at only $3 gallon.

When I was in Collage I worked part time at a Standard full service station and there was always 3 men on duty and it was fun to work as a team. We were in uniform and the customer got the best of service. We sold tires and batteries and fixed a few flats.