gas tank cleaning suggestions?

beaker

I have a chrome gas tank that needs to be cleaned out inside due to years of storage with old gas. What is the best method without damaging the chrome plating on the outside? The chrome is still in really good condition so I don't want to ruin it with super harsh chemicals.

Any suggestions are much appreciated, Thanks:thumbsup:

what if ya put some washers in there with some new gas then rotate & shake it back&forth will that get it clean without damaging or denting it? i just refinished the inside of my metal tank but i had to get some rust out 1st & thats what i did i used a little pice of chain & some washers & nuts i thought it wrked pretty good
:thumbsup:
then i used por15 kit

C9H13NO3

When I need to clean any tank I usually take 1/2 CLR and 1 cup water and mix it up and then let it sit for a few min and swish it around then pour it out. It has worked pretty well for me.

Use a small chain (the size used for hanging flower baskets) and Simple Green Degreaser /water.The more chain you put in = more weight and faster cleaning.Works good for me.

beaker is the tank rusty or just full of old gas gunk ?if its just the gas fill it with some fresh stuff and give it a shake .the idea listed are for rusty tanks but it could harm a rust free tanks coating causing it to rust .

TomH

I used new gas and sea foam. Let it sit for a week and all kinds of shellac and guck came out of there. This was for old gas, not rust. Sea foam is an additive you can get at a auto parts store. It isn't cheap, but it will clean out a fuel system. I pour in the tank and pull the motor to get it in the carb and valves and let it set for a week. I use a half a can to a gallon of gas.

beaker

Thanks for all the sugestions, the issue is mostly gunk and varnished tank walls, little rust. I have a buddy who's working on an old whizzer and asked me the same question I posted here just this morning...now I get to look like a pro with all the suggestions I have for him:laugh: