Gas Tank To TALL

I am trying to fit a Predator 212 with Torque Converter (TC) on a Lil Indian. On mock up I have to use 1 3/4 blocks to have TC clear the engine plate. Now the stock engine is to tall for the frame. Anyone know where I can get a low profile tank for a Predator or has anyone cut the original tank and shortened the profile by about an 1 1/2?

What I did on a Predator 212 with TC is slot the mounting holes on the TC then grind down a fin a little on the driven mount. Keeps the TC closer to horizontal and clears the engine plate. I think I had to make a little cutout for the muffler too.

As @mrpat said, you can slot the mounting holes and grind down a gusset on the backside of the plate allowing you to rotate the plate more, raising the driven (top of plate about even with bottom of exhaust port). Also, because the driven is behind the engine block, you can raise it more effectively by raising only the rear of the engine; the best way to do this would be an angled engine mount plate (leave the front edge in contact with frame tubes, raise the rear, weld in triangular plate to fill the gap). Don't just put a spacer under the rear of the engine which could overstress the engine block. You should only need to raise the rear of the engine about half as much as raising it front and rear because the driven will "swing" upward. Modify the TC plate to raise the driven, then set the engine in the frame with no spacers/blocks. If only the TC plate doesn't clear, you can trim the bottom of it (and the cover). Otherwise, raise the rear (only) of the engine until the TC clears, take measurements, modify engine plate to achieve needed angle. Tack it together and test fit the engine/TC before welding.

See an example of modified TC plate here.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...ith-predator-212-and-torque-converter.103977/

Photo view is somewhat downward so driven/plate would be slightly higher than it looks.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?attachments/web20141130_185052-jpg.66567/

GustoGuy

I am trying to keep the stock look of the engine... Why did they ever go away from the flat top engines??? I know EPA.....
With the valves directly over the top of the cylinder the OHV and OHC engines breath way better than the valves in block flathead engines which force the exhaust and intake gasses to do a 90 degree turn into and out of the engine block. The EPA also found that they also let much more unburnt hydrocarbons into the air too than did the newer engine designs. Do you see any flathead engine automobiles anymore? some new small engines are going to fuel injection from carburetors to reduce unburned hydrocarbons as seen on some new snowblowers.

GustoGuy

Remote Tank is best bet, Or you could use a jack to stretch the frame. Just kidding don't do that.
No bottle Jack mods. On an old 40+ year old mini bike with internal rust and from age metal gets brittle you can crack and break the frame. Predator 212cc with the gasoline tank removed and the air intake and exhaust removed will fit most frames. Plus a Predator 212cc will generate more power than a 7hp or 8hp Tecumseh with some slight intake and exhaust mods.

that's what I was thinking, someone has to make a lower profile tank. I will talk to some welders I know to see if they would cut the tank apart and tig it back together for a nominal fee....

that's what I was thinking, someone has to make a lower profile tank. I will talk to some welders I know to see if they would cut the tank apart and tig it back together for a nominal fee....
Has the tank ever had fuel in it?
If not then it should be easy to get the work done.

I always get rid of that giant tank. Get yourself a nice round gas tank and mount it behind the seat. Looks cool. I have done it on many bikes. While you are at it, get rid of that big muffler and air cleaner and get yourself a nice kit from OldMiniBikes and a header. You will like the look much better.

I74

Somebody could make some money making lower Predator gas tanks. There are many mini bikes that the Predator just misses by an inch or two.
Find a 79cc Predator tank, like I did,, that I got from Manchester 1, for a future 212 build.
They only hold around 1/2 gal though, & don't have vent fittings,, but would look really cool with the sloped front, integrated on a 212.
It would definitely be a challenge for mounting on top the engine, ''if you wanted to go that way'', but doable though.
What I figured so far,, is you would have to make a frame out of aluminum or something ....