Gearing

So, I have a predator 212 swapped baja doodlebug and want to re-gear it. Right now, it has the stock gearing, which is 12 tooth clutch to 70 tooth rear (almost 6 to 1 ratio) with 14 inch back wheel. I want to change to a 58 rear(almost 5 to 1 ratio) but I'm worried about the torque loss. Will I still be able go up and down hills no problem, or will it struggle?

Stick with either a 60 or 65 tooth rear. Get one of the adapters so you can run split sprockets. They're cheap and easy to swap out. You will need to add or remove links from the chain when swapping each one though. One of those rectangular chain tools make it easy.

Honestly, I love the 12/70 combo on my DB30 with a stage 2 setup on it and it's good for 45+mph. That's plenty fast for me on that frame with that shitty little brake (I have the hydraulic setup). I'm twice your weight and that bike rips.

Attachments

Stick with either a 60 or 65 tooth rear. Get one of the adapters so you can run split sprockets. They're cheap and easy to swap out. You will need to add or remove links from the chain when swapping each one though. One of those rectangular chain tools make it easy.

Honestly, I love the 12/70 combo on my DB30 with a stage 2 setup on it and it's good for 45+mph. That's plenty fast for me on that frame with that shitty little brake (I have the hydraulic setup). I'm twice your weight and that bike rips.
Yeah, I'm planning on getting a split sprocket. Right now my mini's only stage 1, so that's why I was going for a smaller sprocket to try for that 45-ish top speed. I might try a 60 tooth and see how it goes.

After thinking a little more, would it be better to just get a torque converter? Would it go just as fast as changing the gears while still having plenty of torque?

After thinking a little more, would it be better to just get a torque converter? Would it go just as fast as changing the gears while still having plenty of torque?
Every time I've put a torque converter on a small tire bike it's lost top speed compared to just running a clutch.

Yeah, after putting more research into it, I don't think it would work out without a lot of modification(which I don't have the skill nor tools to do) so I've ultimately decided to give a 60 tooth sprocket a try. I might post an update of how it goes