Gemini owner in new Zealand

gr1ffn

Hi all, I'm a new member and have a 49cc gemini. I'm keen to increase the capacity to give it more go. Does anyone know what piston/barrel/head combo will bolt straight up? I believe the engine is a copy of the Yamaha YJ1 49CC, 2 stroke, rotary valve engine.

Any help greatly appreciated.

maverick1

Get a big bore kit for a Yamaha FS1. You will probably order it from Great Britain as FS1's are very popular there. That is where I ordered mine from. Very reasonably priced. Talking about a big difference. I think my Maverick 50 will come close to keeping up with my Gemini 80. One other change you will need to do is change out your exhaust pipe to an 80cc pipe as the outlet on the barrel is larger. I had an extra pipe off a Gemini Boss 80 and it fit great and looks like it was made for it. The regular MA2 pipe will also work.

gr1ffn

What cc do y out end up with without changing the con rod? Did you also fit a bigger carb? There are quite a few kits on UK ebay. Does it matter what year fs1 the kit is for? I notice some big bore barrels go into the cases like the stock unit, while others are flat. Which is best?

Last edited:

maverick1

Don't recall what the cc on the cylinder was but a sizeable difference over the stock. As far as the carb I left it alone but am planning on experimenting with the jets to see if it makes a difference.Runs remarkably well with the stock jetting. Pretty sure all FS1's were all 50cc but just be sure it is for a 50cc. If I remember who I ordered mine from I will let you know. They did a little bit of port clean-up before sending them out. As far as the protrusion that is a question you need to ask the people selling. Myself I would buy the kit that was like the stock configuration. I used the stock rod. Not building a racing motor.

gr1ffn

Hi, there's been progress here. The first pic is of my Gemini as purchased. I did about 300 miles on it. Then I did up the wheels by having them blasted, galvanised and fitted new hardware, tyres and tubes. Then I purchased so heavier duty rear shocks.

I then purchased a 1964 Yamaha Landscout which has the same 80cc engine as fitted to the bigger Gemini Boss. I bolted the engine straight in and what a difference!

At present the 80cc engine has been remove and is being modified by a local two stroke porter.

i know this post is old but but i havent been on this site for a long time , the land scout is the same as the gemini db100 which are very rare have seen one in the flesh, didnt have spare money to buy at the time but took a photo of it your little gemini looks like a db50 gemini which i also have one of those, hows the bike going do you still have it ???