General Lee minibike.

Li'l Popeye

My new General Lee minibike is finished by now and I just made it's first test drive.

Here's what has been done to get this far, since last post:
As my previous General Lee had been sold without engine I could use the same engine in the new minibike.
But that engine, didn't run that good. It popped really loud at deceleration and I couldn't figure out why that was. I have tried different jets, needle clip positions, etc.
So before I mounted the engine on my new General Lee mini bike, it was a good time to check the engine.

Cylinderhead was lifted and checked; except some carbon build up it was all good.
Ignition timing was checked and it was at 20 degrees btdc... As far as I know I didn't set it like that, but maybe I have made a mistake back then.
Anyway; it is set at 30 degrees right now.

The engine was mounted and fired up. To me it seemed like it was running rich on idle. I don't think it's normal to see these yellow colored flames, it needs to be blue-ish.
I have checked the needle clip position and it was raised 1 clip from the middle position. I set it back in the middle position.
The engine seemed to ran good/better after that.

Test ride went great, brakes are a bit weak, but there was still paint on the rotors. engine ran strong and sounded good. No more popping from the exhaust at deceleration.
I have the aluminium weights in the torque converter with the blue garter springs. It takes of from around 3500 rpm. It pulls up to ~5000rpm. Speedometer measured 70km/h topspeed. Same topspeed as it would have with a Juggernaut.
Fuel level display in the speedo/tachometer also functions great!
The sparkplug colored black so I need to re-jet.

New General Lee minibike ready and freshly washed after it's first successful testride.

The other side...
In the background "Herbie" minibike being dismantled to be repainted in another color. That will be my next project.

Last edited: