General Minibike restoration questions. Bonanza specifically.

mustangfrank

Paint color update. Thought I'd share what i have found to maybe help the next guy,

We have been discussing the correct blue color. I'd guess there are plenty variations out there and this will pertain to what I have .

I took the swing arm off and compared it to my 1966 Corvette which is code 976 Nassau blue. I think the picture will show the Nassau blue is quite a bit lighter, The second blue is 1969 Chevrolet Lemans blue code 71. I wish I had taken a picture with the swingarm right up close but I didn't. Color was as close as you could ever want. So for ME, 1969 GM code 71 Lemans blue is a winner!

Today the frame goes for a dip in the chemical tank to be stripped.
Lemans blue looks close. I haven't looked at paint chips in a few months but I think there was a later 60's Nassau Blue that was closer, Malibu color maybe? Nothing off the shelf is going to be exact, the Bonanza blue being non-metallic makes it hard to find a stock automotive match.

I know I'm late to the party, but if you haven't gotten your bolts plated the DYI works great. I use vinegar and salt with a zink anode. Two "D" cell batteries and watch it go. I then polish them up a little with Flitz metal polish. I did the bolts and springs on my Golden Pinto myself. IMG_20220208_152643572.jpg IMG_20220208_150220403.jpg IMG_20220202_161756183.jpg

As far as paint colors, LeMans blue from the Camaro is a shade darker than the nasdau blue Corvette color or the marina blue on the Chevy 2 and the Malibu. I think the LeMans is the closest.