Generator/alternator

I'm in a bit of bind to try and find a fly wheel balancing service or weather to risk blowing my cast aluminum fly wheel to pieces or to get rid of my lighting system in favor of a billet flywheel and tweak/modfied ignigtion system.

is there any way to hook a generator to the rear tie or a jack shaft or sprocket? i'll be running a TAV2, street application/ titled|plated. i don't like that idea of having to manually charge a battery.

MB165

yeah ive thought about tucking a small belt under the TAV unit on my minibaja, then run it forward...maybe like a little round vacum belt, and yes that permanent magnet generator for the kubota is a nice little unit.

So what kind of effect on performance will the kubota generator have on the motor(im asuming a clone) while running, any drag effect to it?

Yes, there will be a load for the engine so that electricity can be created. I lose about a hundred RIM or so on my 90 cc Honda bikes when all the lights are on.

Basically, there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine so the work to create that electricity has to come from somewhere.

Rick

Two CT90 and two ST90 bikes

Oh I get that, just wondering what it would do on a 6.5hp clone, am I going to loose like 3hp to run it or not... more what I was getting at.

NEAT!!! I wonder how many RPM that can handle since i might be touching 7K. Also could they handle LEDs, is it DC, how much current?

So what kind of effect on performance will the kubota generator have on the motor(im asuming a clone) while running, any drag effect to it?
well you'd hook it to the drive chain to the rear tire in a such a way it wouldn't put to much load on the alternator bearings.

I like how small that unit is.

I would figure out a way to couple it to the output shaft of the TAV on the backside. The other side of the support from the secondary. No belt, just a coupling between the TAV output shaft and the generator/alt.

Then thinking about it, just how small is the part that makes electricity? Strip off the pulley, as much of the bracket/housing as possible... Where could it go...?

well if one uses a jack shaft it's get easier to mate it up to the TAV 2.

IDK if i can use a jack shaft. mine goes straight to a teeny tiny sprocket. i would need some sort of shaft that could replace the one the teeny tiny sprocket is on.

Just now thought of this but, if one was to have a ring gear fitted to billet flywheel or have teeth machine in it an alternator could be driven that way. i've seen old tec fly wheels with gears fora starters.

it's a contradiction and bad idea since we are talking about a high RPM fly wheel but, it's an idea.

I'm thinking so far, the jack shaft would be the best way to go.

MB165

It doesnt take much power to spin it. Since its permanent magnet isnt that the only load there is to turn it, (force of the magnets)?
Although we do need a reg/rectifier to use it, they dont feedback to a field for variations in output load.
On the tractors they are spun up faster than crank speed, the engine pulley and waterpump pulley around double the size of the generator.

I don't see why you couldn't put a big O ring in the groove the belt rides in and then do kinda what jeep did on his to spin it,then you would get power any time the engine is running.

Honestly I don't think this is what you want on a clone.
Its a heavy little beggar and for what 15 amps?
Who needs that much power on a clone?

If I sat down and got some relay steel and really thought things through there is probably a way to fab something that mount next to the ignition coil, uses the ignition magnet and puts out a few watts maybe 10.

Then you would need to use LEDS carry a battery around for supplemental power at low rpm.

how does that alt work? is it mount externally? i already have a lighting coil. the problem is unless i get a high end billet fly wheel there is a chance the stock one will explode. I like the bike generator but, i'm thinking at 5-7k it would just burn up and grind the bearings apart.