George Barris Collection Scrap Book

This belongs to a friend.. :smile:

Please post any George Barris Minibike pictures, brochures, or adds here. :thumbsup:

Anyone have any info on this model?

GEORGE BARRIS

George was born in Chicago in the mid twenties. In 1928, he and his older brother Sam moved to Roseville, California with relatives after their parents died. They both were excellent students especially in drama, music and drawing. George pursued a passion for building scratch-built aircraft models which led to model cars. He won competitions for construction and design.

The family gave the brothers a 1925 Buick in need of repair for the work they did at their restaurant.

This Buick became the first "Barris Brothers" custom car. The old Buick needed much attention and their creative urges to make it different took hold. They straightened the body and added bolt-on accessories before George hand painted the car in orange with blue stripes. It was promptly sold to purchase a 1929 Model A.

The brothers interest in cars intensified during their teenage years as they discovered "the black art" of body work by hanging out after school at local bodyshops, including Brown's and Bertolucci's in Sacramento. George created his first full custom from a used 1936 Ford convertible before he graduated from High School. This automobile lead to their first commercial customer. Shortly after George formed a club called Kustoms Car Club where the first use of "K" for kustoms appeared.

After Sam entered WW II, George moved to Los Angeles where his talents began to flourish. He soon opened his first shop in Bell, a Los Angeles suburb in late 1944. Sam joined him after his discharge in 1945. They opened a new shop on Compton Ave. in Los Angeles. The shop was known as the "Barris Brother's Custom Shop". Sam's natural metal craftmanship served as a perfect foil to George's desire to design, paint, manage, and promote.

George began to race at Saugus Speedway around 1947. But this hobby was short lived as the business expanded and took up all his spare time. Other forces began to take place, the first Hot Rod Show produced by Robert 'Pete' Petersen founder of Hot Rod magazine. The Barris brothers were asked to exhibit the only custom car in the show. The reaction was very positive.

Modern automotive magazines were being published which provided coverage of the custom car business. George began photographing autos professionally and writing for the magazines. He was able to promote his business by demonstrating their techniques through how-to articles.

The Barris brothers outgrew their shop on Compton and moved to a larger shop in Lynwood where the famous Hirohata Merc was born. Sam bought a new two-door Mercury and knew it would make a great custom. He figured it out all in his head and began cutting it up and reformed the car. Bob Hirohata admired Sam's style and brought in his '51 Merc for a full custom job. Sam finished his car so it could be shown at the 1952 Motorama. It turned out to be the sensation of the show.

George formed "Kustoms of Los Angeles," which was initially restricted to Barris customers and later became "Kustoms of America." The group grew out of weekend custom runs which George help put together. Kustoms of America is still a major club today that has a major cruise in Paso Robles.

The movie studios had taken note of Barris kustoms on the streets and at races and came to George for cars for their films. One of the first films Barris made cars for was called "High School Confidential". The success of the initial movie car venture motivated George to seek business in Hollywood. This included customizing the personal cars of the stars as well. As the past forty plus years have shown, this association with the studios and stars has been long and fascinating.

Shirley Ann Nahas, George's future wife came into the scene and was an integral part of George's success. She became a strong nurturing partner in George's life as Sam had already left the business. George concentrated on promotion as well as kustomizing. The two went hand in hand. He would travel all over the country in his creations, with the name "Barris" plastered everywhere he could, covering car shows and appearing on TV talk shows. In the late 50's Revell began making model kits of George's cars. AMT soon joined with the "Ala Kart." Plastic model kits became the biggest selling toys at the time.

Original kustoms and hot rods continued to roll off George's drawing board. They were built and decorated by the best fabricators and craftsmen in the business. This pool of talent included Bill Hines, Lloyd Bakan, Dick Dean, Dean Jeffries, Von Dutch, Larry Watson, Hershel "Junior" Conway, John and Ralph Manok, Bill De Carr, Richard Korkes, Frank Sonzogni, "Jocko" Johnson, Lyle Lake, Curley Hurlbert, "Gordo", and for a brief time Tom McMullen. Many of them went on to do their own notable work. As the sixties began, George shifted gears and bought a new shop in North Hollywood where he designed and built award winning cars. He also became a father to daughter Joji and son Brett. George continues to work out of this shop today

Barris Kustom Industries

markus

Its interesting to see how different the original bikes came out compared to the brochures. On the non chopper bikes all the original or mostly original that have popped up over the last few years ended up with Clinton engines, and tabloc wheels where the brochures show the stellar solid wheels and tecs mounted up.

another interesting thing is for some reason they axed the chainguards and used standard ones that stellar used. If you look at the photo of the original survivor "mod scene" posted previously you can tell the graphics are shaped the same as the small guard shown on the brochure (can see it on the Flamer) just randomly put in an open spot on the big guard :doah:

Heres some shots of the super stocker (seat suspended no jackshaft version) chainguard, when I first found it on ebay I thought it was just a standard stellar guard which I needed for a bike. I thought some kid had just stuck a bunch of race decals on it :doah:

In a sense that was true, but the decal pack came with the super stocker when you bought it and you could put them where ever you wanted on the bike :thumbsup: searching the web I found one on another SS with the same decals only in different locations.

The plan was to strip that guard down and paint it, good thing I found that info before I did it!!! chrome was weak, but I was able to revive it a bit, and the one decal that was missing was luckily and edlebrock, which it was easy to find one close enough in size before I sold it to another collector that had the bike but was missing the guard.

Great info in this thread Don an Mark. I'm missing the guard for my Super Stocker as well. I'm sure it a needle in a haystack but I've got time.
Judging by what's posted so far, the swing arm Super Stocker would have been white with a white/red/blue seat?

Its interesting to see how different the original bikes came out compared to the brochures. On the non chopper bikes all the original or mostly original that have popped up over the last few years ended up with Clinton engines, and tabloc wheels where the brochures show the stellar solid wheels and tecs mounted up.

another interesting thing is for some reason they axed the chainguards and used standard ones that stellar used. If you look at the photo of the original survivor "mod scene" posted previously you can tell the graphics are shaped the same as the small guard shown on the brochure (can see it on the Flamer) just randomly put in an open spot on the big guard :doah:

Heres some shots of the super stocker (seat suspended no jackshaft version) chainguard, when I first found it on ebay I thought it was just a standard stellar guard which I needed for a bike. I thought some kid had just stuck a bunch of race decals on it :doah:

In a sense that was true, but the decal pack came with the super stocker when you bought it and you could put them where ever you wanted on the bike :thumbsup: searching the web I found one on another SS with the same decals only in different locations.

The plan was to strip that guard down and paint it, good thing I found that info before I did it!!! chrome was weak, but I was able to revive it a bit, and the one decal that was missing was luckily and edlebrock, which it was easy to find one close enough in size before I sold it to another collector that had the bike but was missing the guard.

I am in desperate need for a chain guard myself. You wouldnt have any would you?

Dan-E-boy

George Barris Mini Dragger

here are a few pics of a bike that I recently restored.. went to Barris's shop to take them.. RIP George Barris..

these are a few pics I found of an all original mini dragger that helped me restore mine.. this one is still in a guys basement in socal..

Dan-E-boy

Thanks everyone!:thumbsup: I wish I would have made it to his shop with it while he was still alive. Im sure he would have got a kick out of it. there are a few pics of him with minibikes and he has a big smile just like we all get when we mess with these things..:smile:

Those are some really sweet pictures Danny! Ironically a family member just asked me if you had ever made it to see him before he passed but I hadn't heard anything from you so I told them I wasn't sure but didn't think so. I think George would have loved to have seen that. In any case, I really love the pictures and thanks for posting them up.