Getting a 'Hot Foot" from the bikes muffle..WTH?

Was trying out the bikes new TC and noticed my left calf is getting hot. I had not noticed this before. My left legs is now positioned diffrently due to the new TC. There is a blast of hot exhaust gases coming from under the heat shield. I pulled the muffler and extension pipe off of the bike and found there is a "vent" stamped through the bottom of the muffler and is deliberate. It is a rectangle angled slightly downward. It is N O T a crack.
What purpose can this possibly provided other than scorching flesh?
I pulled the muffler off of my Greyhound engine and it cannot be used as there is no provision for the extension exhaust pipe. And the two are not the same size. The AM Hawg Ty bike's muffler is smaller.
Any ideas?
Pointing towards the factory made vent (?)
muffler1.jpg
Showing sizes
muffler2.jpg

Can you spot weld a thin metal tab over the vent to deflect the heat in a different direction?
On my MTD I can feel the blower air from the flywheel on my left leg but it’s not really that hot.
Good thing about a header pipe is that you can wrap it with header wrap. But with those box style mufflers that doesn’t really seem feasible

I could,but it is there for a reason. I'd hate to weld it up and have some sort of excessive back pressure build up.
I may have to weld on a diverter which would also work.

I could,but it is there for a reason. I'd hate to weld it up and have some sort of excessive back pressure build up.
I may have to weld on a diverter which would also work.
No, I meant a diverter/reflector, not welding it up completely.
If you read my post again, I said to maybe spot weld something to deflect the heat in a different direction.
I agree that it is prob there for a reason and would not weld it up completely.

I would say to just make a tubular header or get one made, but I know you ride trails and they prob have some sort of requirements for exhaust. Spark arrester or similar, and muffler for noise.
If you’re worried about excessive back pressure, I doubt you would have that problem with a tubular header and muffler.

But it may cause a problem with the packaging of everything and clearances and interference with other parts of the bike, etc.

you say you had an extension exhaust pipe on it. is there a chance the weight and vibration could have peeled back the skin where it was welded and thats why it looks factory? Put the extension pipe on it and stress it up and down a bit and see what it does.

The extension pipe is not mounted to the muffler. It is mounted on the rear fender and slides over the exhaust port of the muffler.
The "hole" is a stamping and done by the factory.