Gibbs penetrent

Anybody else use Gibbs?????? I have been working on cars since I was 8, that makes 51 years. I helped my father rebuild the engine in a Corvair for my uncle. That was my first experience with engines. Needless to say I was hooked.

When I was 12 my father opened a used car lot. So my addiction got a double dose of figure it out and fix it. Over the years I have used everything in the book to loosen bolts and cables and bushings and most anything else you can think of. I recently discovered Gibbs (found an article on the H.A.M.B.) and I can tell you that NOTHING else holds a candle to it. I have tried everything I could ever find that was a penetrant. I have a Cat 250X that I bought at an auction for $1.50. It had been sitting flat on the ground. The kick stand was frozen and the fork bolt was frozen solid. You could not budge the forks. I shot some Gibbs on the forks and the kick stand. The next day the kickstand would move. I shot some more on the forks and on the second day they moved a little. So I shot some more on the forks. Now I didn't drown the forks where it was running off on the floor. I just put enough on the pivot point that it was wet. On the third day the forks would turn full travel. I put a little more on the pivot and the next day the bolt came out without any struggle. I am very happy with this product and have used it on everything I own that was sticky or had drag. I use it on my Lathe, my band saw , my drill press and the lock slide on my big Ellis band saw. It has been sticky and aggravating since it was brand new. I had tried everything I had in the shop to free it up but nothing helped. One shot of Gibbs and it is as smooth as glass. You can treat bare metal with it and it wont rust for 6 months or longer. You can just prep the metal as usual and not be afraid of fish eyes or other problems when you paint that same metal.

I know it sounds to good to be true but it is to good to be true. I wont buy any of the other penetrant for loosening sticky stuff ever again. Well I will by WD-40 for use on my Coats tire changer.... I use it so infrequently that I always have to mix up new soap but the WD is always ready....

I am not affiliated with Gibbs in any way but I thought it was well worth sharing this product with my fellow mini bikers. I will add a link for it here. Try it and you will be well pleased. Everyone that I have gotten to try it was like me, they had tried everything else. Now they wont buy anything else. I buy it by the case and we split it up. Save a little money on a case purchase. I find a new use for it every week. Give it a try and you will be well pleased.

Gibbs Brand

Last edited:
I bought a can of that a long time ago to use on my guns. It worked great for that and many other things. The guy I bought it from had a gun in a fish tank.

NEO have you tried Gibbs? I have used Kroil (and it works good) until I found Gibbs. I learned about it on the H.A.M.B. and everything they said is true. I use it all the time. And a little goes a long way. NAPA used to sell a product called "Screw Loose" and they may still. It was claimed to penetrate one millionth of an inch. It worked good but it wont do what the Gibbs will do. I know we all have our preferences but I wanted to share this with the group and I hope it helps somebody out.

Yes I have and don't have anything bad to say about the products function really. My biggest hold ups are I can't easily get it (having it shipped), I haven't been able to find it in anything but aerosol cans (adds both to cost of shipping and I prefer spray bottles), and per cost to me it isn't any better than other options.

Living on a farm in high humidity arkansas stuff around here rusts just sitting not being used in a shed. We also play in the mud with some "race" trucks so everything added up we go through a gallon of penetration oil in a month sometimes. Function and price both become deciding factors for us.

Ouch... I here ya on cost. And I agree having it shipped is a down side. That is why I buy it by the case and split it with a couple of friends. But living on the farm and playing in the mud sounds like a lot of fun...

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about Gibbs.

I have some stubborn slip-ons on my '83 motorcycle that PB Blaster has had no effect on. Hoping the Gibbs will do the trick. Just ordered a two pack.

Thanks for the heads up about Gibbs.

I have some stubborn slip-ons on my '83 motorcycle that PB Blaster has had no effect on. Hoping the Gibbs will do the trick. Just ordered a two pack.
Its different than most penetrants. You just need a little shot. I use about the size of a nickle on the things I use it on. If its dripping off you used to much. You don't have to soak it down just apply a little at a time and give it a few minutes to work. Then give it another little shot. You will be surprised how quickly it works. If you can give it 2 or 3 little shots and come back in the morning it will be free usually. I have a Wilton vice that had been left outside and nothing has touched it. It got stuck in the corner destined for the scrap yard. I had forgotten about it until just now. I need to drag it out and see what happens..... It will be a challenge.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. I probably would have soaked the bolts if you hadn't mentioned it.

The mufflers have been on the bike for 33 years, so hopefully the Gibbs will be just what I needed.

Good luck with that vise!

Out of curiosity, how long does shipping take when you order it? I ordered on July 29th and I haven't heard anything yet. Just curious if they send a shipping notice, or it just shows up suddenly?
Sorry I missed this. I hope you have received it by now... I honestly don't remember how long it took. I can say it wasn't long because I did not call to check on it. And no I did not get an email with shipping information.

Stitch

I use Gibbs for a lot of things. It is truly amazing. I used to be a die hard Kroil and PB Blaster user but Gibbs
is in a whole new league! It's loosend some of my antique engines that were rust frozen for many decades!
I tried Gibbs for the first time on an antique John Deere hit miss engine that the crank and piston rusted solid after being left behind a barn open to the weather for 55 years!

My trusty Kroil, PB Blaster, PEN and my own automatic transmission/Acetone magic formula did nothing after many applications over several weeks.
I was about to give up when my brother brought over a can of Gibbs and after one application, the next day, it freed right up! I was blown away! He uses Gibbs in his machine shop for many things.
That is not the only time it's proven to me to be the best in the years since. There's not enough room to praise all of it's uses and benefits. I wish they would sell it in 1 gallon bulk cans.
I'll keep using it till something better comes along.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. I probably would have soaked the bolts if you hadn't mentioned it.

The mufflers have been on the bike for 33 years, so hopefully the Gibbs will be just what I needed.

Good luck with that vise!
How did the Gibbs work for you??? Just being nosey..... I hope it did what you needed. It hasn't left me wanting yet.

I have a early 70s Gibson snowblower bought for 35 bucks 7 years back. It was so cheap The 8hp briggs was seized. I had heard taking acetone and ATF mixing 50/50 will loosen anything. I pulled the plug and poured down the cylinder. I waited 4 days and worked the fly wheel back and forth. I still run that snow blower today.

If i have a project I mix some up and soak it for a week. I have alot of old rusty crusty Wisconsin crap and yet to buy a torch.

How did the Gibbs work for you??? Just being nosey..... I hope it did what you needed. It hasn't left me wanting yet.
I never received it. I honestly had completely forgotten about it until just now when I noticed a notification in tapatalk about this thread. I'm pretty sure I was billed for it right away, but it's been so long now that I can't remember.

I bought another motorcycle in August and I really haven't messed around with mini bikes or go karts since the last motorcycle I bought, because I've been riding so much. Plus, I sold the other motorcycle that I attempted to purchase the Gibbs for anyway.

Not having an invoice/confirmation email from the original purchase of the Gibbs through classicfordradiator.com though, I have no point of reference if I were to call and inquire about what happened. In situations like this, I just accept it as a learning experience and to never make another purchase from the company again.

I just bought a 90' Ford F150, so I'll probably be ordering some of the Gibbs directly from the Gibbs site.... there are 27 year old nuts and bolts on that truck that will probably need a little persuasion.

I went from forgetting all about the Gibbs, to being excited about it all over again. Haha.