Gilson "Razorback" Restomod

Wanted to share my build as so many have shared their builds before, and encouraged myself to do the same. First I am from Arkansas so had to throw the Razorbacks in the mix, WPS! Second my project starts out as just a Gilson frame, nice and orange, with tons of character(scratches). My intent is to incorporate some of the old with the new, adding a disc brake out back as well as shocks to the rear. I did not acquire the spring frontend forks with the bike, just the bare frame and swing-arm. I will be adding a doodle bug rear wheel to gain a disc brake. I am not 100% sure what a "Restomod" is, however I can assume a restoration, that has been modified, so that is the goal here to restore the bike, to my liking of course, by modifying it. Below is the starting point....

First order of business was to address the forks, or lack of. I posted a "wanted to buy" ad on here, with no luck, nor the patience, so I contacted WeldingOC to bend me up a set of forks, very happy with I might add. The front forks are non-suspension(springs), but do have a bend that allows the forks to be 100% vertical once past the trees. I am still searching for a set of original suspended front forks, but these will more than do for the time being. WeldingOC bent these and then shipped them to me, I had to weld them up once I received them, again very happy with the quality of the tubing as well as the bends.

Last edited:

delray

nice..........:thumbsup:
i like the forward bend on the handle bars. should steer real nice for you.......:scooter:
if you go with the larger 6inch tire the gilson's came with the bike should still ride good.....:thumbsup:

Thanks Guys, I am going with 6" wheels, but not the original Gilson wheels. That is what made me want a Gilson, is all the Kool Kids have one, and the springs. I have a Sears Mini and it is very rough riding. Looking forward to a much nicer ride with the springs, or at least my hopes are it is a lot smoother.

CarPlayLB

It's all relative! With springs you'll just go on bumpier roads!:laugh:

I put Lomart Cheeftah wheels on my Gilson...easy deal! The issue you may have is the axle diameter...I dunno if DoodyBoogs had 5/8" axles or not. Plenty of good options, just make sure you find something that allows for good brakes!

It's all relative! With springs you'll just go on bumpier roads!:laugh:

I put Lomart Cheeftah wheels on my Gilson...easy deal! The issue you may have is the axle diameter...I dunno if DoodyBoogs had 5/8" axles or not. Plenty of good options, just make sure you find something that allows for good brakes!
Haha, that sounds about right, springs lead you to bigger rocks/bumps.

The DB rear axle is M12 where the original Axle is 5/8. There is slack as the M12 is smaller and still working on a solution for that. The DB rear wheel has a mount for a disc, that's why I chose it. I could not find bearings to fit the DB wheel, but had a 5/8 ID for the original Gilson Axle. I am hoping a bushing can be adapted for the rear axle being smaller.

CarPlayLB

We are birds of a feather! I typically over-complicate everything I do!
Why not look for a more conventional 5/8 bearing wheel and have a hub machined for a disc? That way you will have access to more conventional parts and retain classic type wheels? Just my "out loud" thinking!

We are birds of a feather! I typically over-complicate everything I do!
Why not look for a more conventional 5/8 bearing wheel and have a hub machined for a disc? That way you will have access to more conventional parts and retain classic type wheels? Just my "out loud" thinking!
That is my thoughts as well, and at some point would like to move to that, a classic wheel. I just have the DB wheel and disc already, so working with what I have. I have an update I will post later today with some pictures and you can let me know what you think.

I was unable to get a set of Gilson jackshaft plates, I was close, but always a day late. So I ordered the 5/8 set from OldMiniBikes warehouse. These will work great but are not the identical shape as the Gilson originals. I had to drill a new hole for the swing-arm to mount and insert a bushing. Washers will have to be added to the outside to take up the slack from side to side. Happy with the results though.

Last edited:
Great project , the value of these Gilson's is skyrocketing , lol !
Heck yeah they are. Especially if you try to buy one piece by piece. I plan on buying another Gilson at some point and putting the larger 10", I believe they are, spoke wheels. Looking for a whole bike versus piecing it together.

Here is a picture of the rear wheel I am running. The tire is a 4.10x3.50x6, and after looking at CarPlayLB's Gilson build, I may bump up the tire size to 5.30x4.50x6. Right now the chain sprocket is not much smaller than the diameter of my tire. Let me know what you guys think of the DB wheel on a Gilson.

Clearance is tight right to left, but I have already addressed that and will post up pictures once I upload them of my solution.

Last edited: