Gizmatic

markus

Been wanting one of these for quite some time but they aren't that cheap and my current refacer works pretty good, but really for the volume of valves I have been doing and lack of replacement blades, constant checking of angle, etc.. I really wanted to go with the GIZ. Found a new, unused unit for a decent price, came in yesterday and grabbed a couple of used valves to see what it would do. 3 times as fast and MUCH easier, than my Vintage hand crank refacer lathe. Not grabby on the Exhaust valves when cutting like my other one can be, which for me is the more important valve since the replacements have a thinner stem than the factory installed ones do.

IMG_3459.JPG IMG_3453.JPG IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3455.JPG IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3458.JPG

Attachments

markus

Cost of Valves now says it should pay for itself rather quickly
Yea that helps but saving the thicker stemmed valves that only came in factory assembled engines and not available on thier own is priceless. My old one that I got some years back does alright but it is temperamental. It came in a small engine service kit I bought that was NOS with a receipt dated 1967. I was really kickin’ it old school with that one!!!!
742DA40B-0D6A-458C-8304-3BB5D38A8759.jpeg 928751F4-005F-4C58-9051-58ADB7423BC5.jpeg

markus

I have the seat cutter kit from them and had been eyballing this setup too... Now I'm closer to getting it knowing that it works that well... Thanks @markus for posting this....

I think you'll like it. If I am not mistaken it looks like the blades are the same as on the some of Seat cutters on my set, like the 46 degree. I have to verify that but that will be nice for spares. That is the problem with my old refacer, I cannot find the blade it used on its own anymore, I literally had to find/buy another entire unit to get a spare. same goes for my cylinder ridge reamer, but it did thankfully come with its own spare blade, I don't have to use that too much so I have some time still :)

Harquebus

Always check your local machine shop/engine builder to see if they have a valve grinder/refacing machine.

I have a shop about 5 miles south that did my last two (intake and exhaust) for free. Other times $10 for both. Good to keep them in business as they'll often have a small engine service as well. They wanted to sleeve some flatheads and do machine work/blueprinting on them if I had them. I had to decline.