Going against the grain on this - but I need a smaller engine!

As I hang around the minibike crowd, so many people just want to add a 212 to everything - and I understand that. I have two other bikes that will have 212's on them when I'm done with them.

However, my recent purchase of an Asuza minibike has a 6HP Tecumseh engine.

I also have a new Coleman CC100X with a 97cc engine and I won't be making any changes to that for now.

My goal is to have a bike or two that my almost 7 year old son and some slightly old children will be able to ride without so much power.

What I am considering, is to replace the 6HP Tecumseh with something half that size (for now). I have a few engines in my shop but nothing smaller than 5HP. I am considering the Predator 79cc from Harbor Freight. The bummer is that it's only $5 less than a 212!

Ultimately, as my son gets older and taller, I hope that we can upgrade and tweak the bikes together!
CC100X-scaled.jpg 20201223_204049.jpg

desert rat

Think about a GC160 With a restrictor plate like NASCAR, ok you can run a restrictor plate on any motor you got. They use them in some cart classes. You could also place a peace of tube on the throttle cable to limit the pull as long as the clutch still locks up right. Just thinkin' out of the box a little.

mustangfrank

As I hang around the minibike crowd, so many people just want to add a 212 to everything - and I understand that. I have two other bikes that will have 212's on them when I'm done with them.

I also have a new Coleman CC100X with a 97cc engine and I won't be making any changes to that for now.

My goal is to have a bike or two that my almost 7 year old son and some slightly old children will be able to ride without so much power.

What I am considering, is to replace the 6HP Tecumseh with something half that size (for now). I have a few engines in my shop but nothing smaller than 5HP. I am considering the Predator 79cc from Harbor Freight. The bummer is that it's only $5 less than a 212!

Ultimately, as my son gets older and taller, I hope that we can upgrade and tweak the bikes together!
View attachment 273223 View attachment 273224
I like his restrictor plate idea, that's probably the easiest way and removable. I'm considering similar engine ideas for a Fox Sprite I just got, going to find a 2.5, 3 or 3.5hp Tecumseh or Briggs flathead because I wanted my grandson to be able to ride it in a couple years but not ruin a classic.

You can find those little Chinese Doodlebug engines for next to nothing used, everyone is going the other direction and swapping for a 212.

I know what you mean with small engine
They are way easier to maneuver and move around,
Considerably less wear on chassis components from less weight and power.
But 100 bones even for 79cc is best deal because shipping is included at hf
All hf engines are honda clones. Here is some eng.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engines/Gas-Diesel-Engines/Horizontal-Shaft-Engines/

Think about a GC160 With a restrictor plate like NASCAR, ok you can run a restrictor plate on any motor you got. They use them in some cart classes. You could also place a peace of tube on the throttle cable to limit the pull as long as the clutch still locks up right. Just thinkin' out of the box a little.
I can't say that I've ever heard of a restrictor plate until now. However, the idea of limiting the throttle cable is way easier than buying a whole new engine.
I happen to have a Honda GC190 that would look good on that Asuza. (It came off of a pressure washer) But again, too much power the way it is, so I would need to figure out some throttle linkage and then restrict it. Things to ponder.....
Thanks everybody for the input.

20210101_215343.jpg 20210101_215356.jpg

Last edited:
I know what you mean with small engine
They are way easier to maneuver and move around,
Considerably less wear on chassis components from less weight and power.
But 100 bones even for 79cc is best deal because shipping is included at hf
I am still considering the Predator 79cc. There is a HF in Green Bay and although it is about 40 miles away, I get there from time to time.
There are some good examples on youtube for hooking up the linkage.
I might save the above mentioned Honda GC190 for another bike or the same bike for later. There is no hurry, I have many many projects to work on.

desert rat

I am still considering the Predator 79cc. There is a HF in Green Bay and although it is about 40 miles away, I get there from time to time.
There are some good examples on youtube for hooking up the linkage.
I might save the above mentioned Honda GC190 for another bike or the same bike for later. There is no hurry, I have many many projects to work on.
They do look good, you all are going to get tired of this pic

Attachments

Keep it simple...just get a 2 1/2 HP Briggs for it. I started with one when I was 8. I remember it did a blistering 23mph on concrete and a lot less on the grass and trails. They are a dime a dozen and can be found for 10-40 bucks on edgers or sitting around.

I can't say that I've ever heard of a restrictor plate until now. However, the idea of limiting the throttle cable is way easier than buying a whole new engine.
I happen to have a Honda GC190 that would look good on that Asuza. (It came off of a pressure washer) But again, too much power the way it is, so I would need to figure out some throttle linkage and then restrict it. Things to ponder.....
Thanks everybody for the input.

View attachment 273238 View attachment 273239
Ya for a smooth throttle transition you either need counter sprung levers, spring, clevis, etc which transition the throttle butterflyvalve open slower,
So you aren't a jerky throttle,
which doesnt matter when using pressure washer because you dont sit on it
Vm22 mikuni is 30 bones amazon adapter 20 cable 10
Slide carb takes all this out of equation. ..

I usually dont like pressure washer (squirt guns) engines,
(If the electric version works (blah))
they are slower because they dont need the torque as say a log splitter (best)
or a tiller..something that needs torque to do work..
I hope any of this makes sense..cause it sounds good in my head

The 212 rips its a stroked clone
Not appropriate for 7 year old even restricted i think

Attachments

Keep it simple...just get a 2 1/2 HP Briggs for it. I started with one when I was 8. I remember it did a blistering 23mph on concrete and a lot less on the grass and trails. They are a dime a dozen and can be found for 10-40 bucks on edgers or sitting around.
This is how you do it. With a bit of effort you might even find one for free. Just be sure that you get one with a long enough crankshaft. On some edgers the exposed part of the crank is really short.

This is how you do it. With a bit of effort you might even find one for free. Just be sure that you get one with a long enough crankshaft. On some edgers the exposed part of the crank is really short.
usually with belt pulley the crank will be tapered...
tillers are the most available or snow throwers...most torque almost always have 2in long 3'4 crank standard crankoutput shaft
kinda same design....atleast in my experience/experiments.
but I love flatheads..the feel sound smoothness.......