Golden Pinto

I am rebuilding what I think, I have figured out is a 1970 or 71 J.C. Penny Golden Pinto. I am sure I will have some questions about the bike later. Right now I have some questions about the motor I found for it. It's an H30 35245H 631921. I think it's fairly correct for this bike. If you guy's think I should use it. My questions are: if I go thru the trouble of rebuilding it, will it be enough motor to move me (240#) through the pits at the race track? If so, where is the best, not so much the cheapest, place to get parts. Are there any performance parts, carb (cause it needs one), cam etc.? And is this considered a small frame motor? Thanks for any help, Gene.

A little personal history; This is the third mini-bike I have done. The first two I did for nephews. They were just clean, paint, get running and so forth. This one I am trying to make a little more correct. I drag race, from time to time a '40 Ford Coupe gasser, and want this to be my "pit bike" for lack of a better term.

Congratulations for at least trying to stick with a tecumseh flathead.

An h30 is a little light on torque based on your stature. You may want to consider the more ubiquitous and powerful hs50. They are readily available in snow belt states and if your in the sunbelt Ebay may yield a suitable engine for cost plus shipping.

Any increase in power that you would be able to squeeze out of an h30 still would not match the output of an hs50. There is just not a lot of speed equipment available the small h25s,h30s and h35s.

Just my .02 worth

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Will check for a HS50 with a couple of the local small engine guy's around here. Sounds like I will keep this motor for the next nephew. Thanks Again, Gene.

PatrickCraik

It'll pull you around the pits and streets just fine,just not very fast,big deal. I'm about the same size and my Ruttman with an H35 has no trouble

Since I am Heald up on the motor. I decided to dig the frame out. Can you guy's please tell me what might have been cut off? Maybe scrub brake bracket? And what this added bracket might be? Thanks. IMG_20200405_185026.jpg IMG_20200405_184609.jpg IMG_20200405_184615.jpg

As you see in my profile picture I have a later style Golden Pinto with a 3.5 hp on it . It runs just fine riding it . Some Golden Pintos came with a band brake on the clutch which is by far better than the scrub brake you are missing . That frame is great for a 5hp Briggs and band brake on the clutch . I have built a couple and the 5hp is more fun to ride for adults . 4hp Briggs would work too . Good Luck with your build .

Dug out the box of parts I took off the frame. Didn't remember what was in it. Took this thing apart about five years ago. Scrub brake shoe was pretty bad. So I took a try at rebuilding it. I cut the center out on a band saw. Put a piece of 1/4" x 2" aluminum in a press and used a large brake drum as a die. Welded it together. It turned out pretty good. Still have to cut the ends off and clean it up a little. Pictures are posted in reverse. Gene. IMG_20200423_090339.jpg IMG_20200423_075059.jpg

Dug out the box of parts I took off the frame. Didn't remember what was in it. Took this thing apart about five years ago. Scrub brake shoe was pretty bad. So I took a try at rebuilding it. I cut the center out on a band saw. Put a piece of 1/4" x 2" aluminum in a press and used a large brake drum as a die. Welded it together. It turned out pretty good. Still have to cut the ends off and clean it up a little. Pictures are posted in reverse. Gene. View attachment 261346 View attachment 261344
Nice.
I sandwiched another piece of 1/4” to ours. Got out the spool gun. Had to strengthen the return spring a bit.

Another question, if I do stay with the H30 I found. I would like to have an idea what year it is. Been trying to figure it out. But none of the numbers I have from the motor tag match anything I have found. Info off the tag...Model H30-35245H Serial 30300

markus

That is a 1973, appears to be an actual mini bike/recreational spec engine with those numbers. H30's are small but do have some low grunt usually. Its should be great for around the pits If its correctly serviced or rebuilt with care. If redone nicely, it will retain its value well since its not a worked over snowthrower or edger conversion, so if its "not enough" someone will want it for another mini bike to make correct due to the way its outfitted and numbered.

Looks good. Nice job rebuilding the missing brake hardware. Any thought to the center stand that might have been removed also? One tab of the stand support stops, one side or the other, normaly broke from being over stressed as the kid aged and legs got long enough to disengage the stand sitting on seat with wide open throttle for that Knievel experience! Or at least thats what happen to mine. I have weld location an part dimensions if you need any i can get from mine. Good luck with it.

Looks good. Nice job rebuilding the missing brake hardware. Any thought to the center stand that might have been removed also? One tab of the stand support stops, one side or the other, normaly broke from being over stressed as the kid aged and legs got long enough to disengage the stand sitting on seat with wide open throttle for that Knievel experience! Or at least thats what happen to mine. I have weld location an part dimensions if you need any i can get from mine. Good luck with it.
Not sure if I'm going to put that back on, or not. If I do, I will get back to you. Thanks for the offer!!! Gene.