"Goliath" Mini Tank - Jeep2003 MT2W 2014

So how will your goliath tank steer??? Remember the steering (your already aware of this probably) it through one track side being engaged and the other side being disengaged or vise versa! So how were you thinking about doing that?? Does that transaxle come from a tractor that has the ability to lock one side and unlock the other!! Because if it does that will work!!

Thanks guys :thumbsup: lots of work for sure. tons of cutting and drilling. not sure about a gun yet. there will be a good amount of room between the driver and hood scoop for a gun mount if i decide to put one on it. I have a pretty trashed bb gun that shoots really good. i might make it look more like a machine gun and put it on there :laugh: or just fix it up and make a rack for it on there somewhere.
Anyway iv been planning out how im going to do the axles on the bottom rollers. all the snowblower wheels are 3/4" keyed axle hubs. If i were to put 5/8" bronze bushings in them it would cost a fortune. plus i would need to buy 5/8" rod for the axles. So instead Im just going to put a grease fitting in them so it flows through the keyway and run 3/4" axles without any bearings or anything. I already have plenty of 3/4" rod laying around. am I crazy? not like im gonna put a million miles on the thing. I'll even make a nice mount for a grease gun and oil can in the side pod. Should be fine i think.

So how will your goliath tank steer??? Remember the steering (your already aware of this probably) it through one track side being engaged and the other side being disengaged or vise versa! So how were you thinking about doing that?? Does that transaxle come from a tractor that has the ability to lock one side and unlock the other!! Because if it does that will work!!
the transaxe is a differential. so when you slow down one side the other side goes double fast but thats the only drawback. it puts alot of stress on the spider gears but im not pulling any major weight so we'll see how it does. ill probrobly fill it with oil to keep it running smooth. a brake on each side should steer it fine. the transaxle does have a brake on it but im not going to use that . just do it with the two independent hand brakes. and a foot clutch for the belt tentioner. throttle will be on the console and governed normally

Last edited:
It would be cool if you could have those hand brakes hooked up to two levers like how early tanks were! And There is one other way of making the steering system could work ! The simplest way would be to have clutch's on the diff ends ( like real manual clutches) that could be disengaged and engaged! The easiest way would be like how you are going to make the clutch, a belt with a tensioner that is controlled! Just an Idea!

It would be cool if you could have those hand brakes hooked up to two levers like how early tanks were! And There is one other way of making the steering system could work ! The simplest way would be to have clutch's on the diff ends ( like real manual clutches) that could be disengaged and engaged! The easiest way would be like how you are going to make the clutch, a belt with a tensioner that is controlled! Just an Idea!
the problem with that is it wont turn as good by powering each side independently as it would by braking each side. youll still get the unpowered side coasting more than you would want it and less control to fight against it. unless you had it disengaging and braking with one leaver. but i think thats overkill and unnessary

i got a couple feet of track put together. no pic today maybe tomorrow :thumbsup: also found a couple cool headlights in the shed i forgot i had. probrobly try to integrate those somehow

All your projects just blow my mind, I'm retired and can't get as much done but the kids do take up my time some. Still you are a prolific builder of awesome machines.:thumbsup:

thanks guys glad you like it. Iv got some more pics for you. I got most if not all the pieces for the first track made just got to finish drilling painting and putting it together. it goes pretty quick when you get a rythem going. but i think ill take a break form it after the first one is done :laugh: also got the side pod framing welded on. you can see in the pic the grease guns i have to chose from and the headlights. I think they may actually be WWII they are marked 9-45 Dietz :shrug: Anyway its going well :thumbsup:

that is an amazing effort and great progress. Just the thought alone of having to drill all of those holes in the angle iron blows me away. This is really cool stuff!:thumbsup: