"Goliath" Mini Tank - Jeep2003 MT2W 2014

toomanytoys

That is cool, you sure have the ability to think outside the box.

Can't wait to see t his done. I usually don't follow the build off projects, normally vote when its all over but I'm going to watch this one.

that is an amazing effort and great progress. Just the thought alone of having to drill all of those holes in the angle iron blows me away. This is really cool stuff!:thumbsup:
Thanks guys. I am getting quite brave attempting something as ambitious as this arnt I :laugh: but its going great. I was afraid those holes would be a nightmare. drilling the hardened steel bed frame but its been going really quick. maby its the fact that its like 20 degrees in the garage :shrug: I have a punch tool but i tried it and it does not like it at all. thought i was gonna break it. I have two drills one with a small 1/8" bit that i drill the pilot holes then drill the final hole with the big bit. Iv hardly had to sharpen the bits at all. When putting the tracks together i use the same two bits to do the holes in the rubber and drive in the bolts with a socket in a bigger 1/2" drill. first the center ones with the washers. then flop the track over and bolt the cleat on. then hold the cleat straight and drill the outer holes. drive in the bolts flip it over and nut on the guides. i do two cleats at a time like that.

Creativity is AWESOME...love that!!! Workin' with what ya got!!
I am making something out of nothing for sure. Sofar only out of pocket expense is a box of nuts for the few boxes of bolts i had. think it was 13$ for 200. Iv been gathering up all the bolts i can find that are the right size for the tracks. hopefully i wont have to buy any more. I have probrobly 2 or 3 hundred pounds of hardware but only so much of the right size. i think im going to try and find a quart or 2 of brush on camo paint rather than spray cans. I saw a few on ebay its marine quality for duck boats . Sounds like what i want but got to look around more for a good price. locally would be nice

went to the junk yard today and got some stuff for the tank. a shifter that i think will work good from a lawn tractor. and latches for the side pod doors and maybe the hood from an ambulance. also bought more bolts for the tracks. i still didnt finish the first track but its almost done. then i can get going on the tank because ill know exactly where the front and rear axles need to be. oh and i made a bunch of the suspention parts for the lower wheels. no pics today maybe tomorrow :thumbsup:

here you can see how i attatched the tires together . stapled and bolted and staggered three treads. also a pic of the latches and shifter im going to use. and the suspention arms. i pressed a bushing into the tube before welding it up for more support as well as the two on the outsides. next ill make some triangle supports for them out of the 1/4" plate I have. I found that in the garbage believe it or not. very heavy :)

Last edited:
don't make it too heavy.. You'll play HELL scooching that one around the garage.. :laugh:
its already almost too heavy to lift the front of the frame with the engine and tranny on it. its not gonna move at all by pushing it im sure. On another note. I counted about 500 holes per track that will be drilled by the time im done :eek:ut:

I like the way you made your tracks. Very interesting and I bet very time consuming. When you started this, I was curious how you were going to do this. I really like it. Great work!:thumbsup:

its already almost too heavy to lift the front of the frame with the engine and tranny on it. its not gonna move at all by pushing it im sure. On another note. I counted about 500 holes per track that will be drilled by the time im done :eek:ut:
I feel like HD rivets would be a good fastener instead of those bolts, prob lighter and will not come loose.

I feel like HD rivets would be a good fastener instead of those bolts, prob lighter and will not come loose.
too late now :laugh: yeah i thought rivets would be nice but id rather have them removable. plus i dont have a riveting machine and i dont know anything about doing that :shrug: If they come loose ill probrobly just spot weld them all. but with the tention from the rubber on them i think it should act as sort of a lock washer. i hope :smile:
Today i got those suport plates cut out. they will hold up the wheels off the frame. i used a circular saw with an abrasive wheel. it took a while made alot of noise but it worked. Used 3 or 4 blades. I ran out of blades so i finished it off with the sawzall. Nothing else major to report . Still working on the tracks and iv got the suspention stuff about done. The tracks are going together slow because leaning over working on the ground sucks. only put together a foot or so till my back hurts and i switch to something else.

Yep got the lower wheels done, the back axle widened, the engine drive pulley welded on, one of the drive cogs cut out,winch and tranny mounted and started on the framing on the front end. As you can see by the last sketch what im going to do with it. Around the tranny the front will stick out farther and the sides where the lights will be cut back more. just to give the front end some more style. should look really cool. Iv got to extend the winch crank so it comes up between the engine and tranny and itll have a removable crank handle on top. thats the best way i could figure to do it. its going well :thumbsup:

i dont think itll need it since its a lawn tractor engine it doesnt have a blade on it you know. on the output shaft i am going to put a pulley out the bottom to use with a piece of rope as a manual pull starter if the battery dies. i might put a flywheel on it too if i have one thatll work though im sure it doesnt need it. but any weight to help smooth it out wont hurt. i like a nice low idle. plus ill have two mufflers on it so it should be pretty quiet too

And a tip for everyone that does welding. You can use a clear plastic soda bottle to cut up and make a few shields for your helmet. save yourself a few bucks :thumbsup:

And a tip for everyone that does welding. You can use a clear plastic soda bottle to cut up and make a few shields for your helmet. save yourself a few bucks :thumbsup:
:laugh::laugh:Was welding a gate support the other day had my head tilted side ways. A splatter bead shot up over the full face visor and landed in my ear. Could feel the little bead burning as it ran deeper. Think my ear wax save me had not had my anual bath yet:laugh::doah:

Looking really good Jeep love the DIY drive gears:thumbsup: