Good bike day at the farm

WLB

Yesterday we loaded up Mr Goat, the Tote Gote, and the Heald that my son recently completed and headed to our farm for a family day of some riding, shooting, and road and tree work. The ground was too wet to drive back to the back pond or the shooting range so we parked at the gate, unhitched the trailer that carried the bikes from the Suburban, hitched it to Mr Goat, loaded the guns and shooting accessories, a hundred pounds of corn for the deer and other animals, and tools on the trailer and Mr goat pulled the trailer the half mile back to the range.

From there we loaded the corn on Mr Goat and all rode to the areas we had previously spread mineral salts and dicalcium phosphate. Coming back from one of the spots through the woods, a berry vine caught my wife's leg and she ran into a tree branch and fell over. The branch gave her a fat lip but she didn't let that stop her fun.

We then set up targets and my wife put a few hundred rounds through her pistol while my son and I sighted in and tested a switch barrel set up that I made for an H&R single shot rifle.

Then it was time for work. Using a battery powered sawsall we trimmed all the dead lower branches from the pine trees and any overhanging branches on the range and the road. That was the easy part. Picking up the branches and making a nice brush pile for the rabbits, birds, or other small animals left me not wanting to move much today. We took one last ride over the farm, loaded everything onto the trailer, and Mr Goat pulled it back to the Suburban. I think I came close to Mr Goats limits coming up the 30 degree hill from the range. It pulled the load ok but I could tell that the chain was stressed. Perhaps I should have used a number 50 chain as my son suggested when I built it.

Sounds like a very good day. It's nice to have those in between the not so good days. I always appreciate your posts about your farm. I recall the drone shots from a couple of years ago.

Saturday, I fired up the 67 Dodge and went to a car show, ran into some friends, cruised through town, realized I forgot my lighter. I punched in the factory supplied cigar lighter, an accessory no longer considered politically correct enough to actually offend anyone by installing them into actual cars, and was struck by the nostalgia of lighting up a smoke with a 50 year old lighter, with a 440 droning in the back ground. Such a simple thing, brought such pleasure.

Your wife sounds tough. :thumbsup:

WLB

Thanks Dave. We still have the drones. My son gave me a small indoor one about 2 inches square that I use to tease the cat. :scared:

Yes, there is nothing like the sound of a real engine. You have the perfect place to let that 440 do what it was made for.