good deal on sand blasting cabinet

Dan-E-boy

So I've been looking into a sand blasting cabinet for a while now because I got tired of sanding everything by hand everytime I want to paint something. I've always wanted one since I started painting motorcycle tanks and fenders but never pulled the trigger. Now that I got into minibikes it was even more beneficial considering all the small rusty or spraybombed parts that are involved, not to mention small hard to work with parts that have deep corners and take way more work to sand down then a smooth motorcycle fender would.
So I came across this deal from harbor freight that I thought was already good. Abrasive/Sand Blasting Cabinet ? 40 Lb. Capacity then I asked if the 20% off coupon that comes in the mail or email if you sign up for there newsletter worked with it( it even said on the coupon: Not to be combined with any other discount) and to my surprise she said yes. :thumbsup:
So normally it sells for 399.99... now on sale for the month of may for 219.99... With coupon came down to 176.00...
Out the door with taxes ended up being 192. And some change.
I figured its not to bad for a brand new,bigger entery level blaster that can fit everything that I need to blast in it..I'm definitely happy :smile:

Last edited:

Dan-E-boy

Good to know, I think I figured out why its on sale. The guy that sold it to me said that before they came mostly assembled. You would just have to put the legs on it and a few small parts. Now it comes completely un assembled. :laugh: shouldn't take to long though.. at least I hope not:laugh:

Bobscooters

I have a top load from HF it's ok small really don't use it much, is that one large enough to put a frame into it. I also have the little gun you put the sand into the reserve and it sprays all over. I always thought it would be cool to gut a old clothes dryer and put a viewing window on it and seal the top and put a door on the bottom and lay it on it's side -- large enough to fit a frame.

Yea, the plastic bucket type. I just use it out in the yard. A little sand will never hurt the grass:laugh::laugh: Of course you can't reuse the sand:doah:but thats ok. I'm using cheap play sand and screening it before I dump in canister. I guess winter would be rough:eek:ut:

Dan-E-boy

I have a top load from HF it's ok small really don't use it much, is that one large enough to put a frame into it. I also have the little gun you put the sand into the reserve and it sprays all over. I always thought it would be cool to gut a old clothes dryer and put a viewing window on it and seal the top and put a door on the bottom and lay it on it's side -- large enough to fit a frame.
Finally got around to building this thing, took a few hours but it looks good.. I have not tried it yet.. here are some pics of a bandit frame inside of it.. its a little tight, but workable I think..

Yea, the plastic bucket type. I just use it out in the yard. A little sand will never hurt the grass:laugh::laugh: Of course you can't reuse the sand:doah:but thats ok. I'm using cheap play sand and screening it before I dump in canister. I guess winter would be rough:eek:ut:
At the very least wear a good respirator. I use one of the North Silicone ones (not for blasting) because it has a good seal to my face. The cheaper 3m ones just don't seal.

Dan-E-boy

Thanks for the tips guys:thumbsup: I will buy a vacuum for it this week.. I have moisture traps on my compressor already because I need them for painting... In the manual it says not to use aluminium oxide, what do you guys use in your setup?

I should of mentioned too, you're really supposed to wear a supplied air hood. And play sand is high in silica which causes silicosis (sp?). There are safer alternative blast medias, it's not cheap to be healthy now but it'll be cheaper for the future :thumbsup:

i have the same one, I had to go back and add more sealant to where the legs attach to the the cabinet. and like cheez said a good vacum is needed because your vision will suck after a while, also you need a pretty good size compressor, the bigger the better :thumbsup::thumbsup: All in all .. good deal for the price