Gordy's Hill OHV Area,Socorro, NM Ride teaser...

I left my house at 5 AM and drove the 100 miles to Gordy's Hill OHV Area ( sometimes called Johnson Hill) . This area is 9,000 acres of nothing but off road trails for all OHV's. It has been a very popular place since the 1950's. It is run and maintained by NM BLM and the roads to the OHV are are the best maintained dirt roads I've seen out here. No problem with any car or truck getting here. Google Maps gets you right to the parking area. there are 250 miles of trails you can ride for free. You must have a spark arrestor and no exhaust louder that 90 Db. You must have baffles in you muffler(s). Lodging is only 10 minutes away. Good food and friendly people. Gas is 5 minutes away.
I arrived a 0740 and got myself ready for a days ride. Plenty of extras to keep the bike working and water for me.
I drove almost 50 miles of trails. Up very steep Mesa's, along mountain ridges, up and down prehistoric river beds and through sand dunes.
It got very hot ( above 90F by lunch time so I called it quits. I saw no other human all morning long. I had the whole OHV Area to myself.
I only had one little problem that was a one-in-a-million happening. After the first hour I lost all but 1/2 throttle responce. Out of nowhere. I was heading back to the car anyway to get into the shade and drink some water.( no shade in the High Desert) . When I got to the car I found a small round pebble has blocked the butter-fly valve going to the carb! It could not have been in the worse place to lodge.
Here are a few photos. I shot over 4,000 images and will have to edit the ones I think you might like to see. This may take a few days to do.
GOHV1.jpg
GOHV2.jpg
GOHV3.jpg
I view from the parking lot. From here everything is up hill in both directions!
Ghov4.jpg
My car and home made trailer. This trailer has crossed the USA three times. Everything you see in the background is fair game to ride through. The area goes for miles and miles.
GHOV5.jpg
The start of one trail.The camera does not capture how steep it really is. And this was the "easy slope section!"
Ghov7.jpg
A teaser of the dried river bed.
GHOV8.jpg
The bike on top of one of the tallest Mesa's. Up in Nose-Bleed altitude.
GHOV9.jpg
Another view from a Mesa 10 miles away from the last photo.
Ghov6.jpg
The little brown pebble that caused it all....Who knew?
A sample of my 50 mile ride. I hope you will enjoy the several hundred to follow.

Attachments

Riding over a mat of Pine needles through the woods is something I miss.
Riding through the high desert is a new challenge even from my high mountains riding at my home.