Got a Homemade 60's Fat Tire Bike

MarksA-C

I picked this up at auction and its a very cool ride for sure! All steel, heavy built, crazy floatation tire on the back too! The engine is a 1966 Briggs and Stratton 7hp and besides that there are no other markings. Has a torque converter, disk brake on the jackshaft, and a compartment under the seat. Tires are like new and the engine is spotless like it was drained before storage.

Hopefully I can find SOME kind of info on it but doubtful.

20210108_161658.jpg
20210108_161705.jpg
20210108_161718.jpg
20210108_161730.jpg
20210108_163020.jpg

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
THAT THING IS AWSOM...LOOKS TO BE VERY WELL BUILT. MAY HAVE BEEN DONE BY A SMALL COMPANY THAT ONLY MADE A FEW. I LIKE IT.

desert rat

You might poke around some of the names of companies in this article. you could try their wanted page contact numbers for the museum and see if the can tell you what you got. I would say low production or R&D that got away it's too nicely done to be a home build I think.

pomfish

I am going to say this was made in a factory, but not by a factory.
The chain guards look very reminiscent of old Ariens/Gravely both of which reside in your home state of Wisconsin.
The color of orange was first tip. They also used orange engines on some equipment.

I have a large minibike which was made by workers in the New Holland tractor factory for deer camp and although it uses off the shelf Heathkit fenders and seat it is not a Heathkit. It was made to go 15mph geared low.
It was bent up/welded assembled in off hours.
Same could be true here.
The welds and general fit/layout looks too good to be backyard but still is possible.

Anyway whatever it is hang on to it. Pretty sure you will have the only one at any show you go to :)

Later,
Keith

kayde

Not only is that very cool, but it's in really good shape.

Note the THICK motor plate has unused adustment slots in it also.

mustangfrank

I am going to say this was made in a factory, but not by a factory.
The chain guards look very reminiscent of old Ariens/Gravely both of which reside in your home state of Wisconsin.
The color of orange was first tip. They also used orange engines on some equipment.

I have a large minibike which was made by workers in the New Holland tractor factory for deer camp and although it uses off the shelf Heathkit fenders and seat it is not a Heathkit. It was made to go 15mph geared low.
It was bent up/welded assembled in off hours.
Same could be true here.
The welds and general fit/layout looks too good to be backyard but still is possible.

Anyway whatever it is hang on to it. Pretty sure you will have the only one at any show you go to :)

Later,
Keith
Now that you mention that the fenders do look like snowblower chute parts.

I picked this up at auction and its a very cool ride for sure! All steel, heavy built, crazy floatation tire on the back too! The engine is a 1966 Briggs and Stratton 7hp and besides that there are no other markings. Has a torque converter, disk brake on the jackshaft, and a compartment under the seat. Tires are like new and the engine is spotless like it was drained before storage.

Hopefully I can find SOME kind of info on it but doubtful.

View attachment 274172
View attachment 274171
View attachment 274173
View attachment 274174
View attachment 274175
That is just awesome.

copyman

That is one awesome bike! Why can't I ever find these auctions, haha. Although I'm always looking as i drive...
Funny in car the other day wife and daughter notice me checking out every back yard as we drove on slower roads. Ha-ha find myself looking near sheds, garages, etc. as I drive. Talk about distracted driving! :oops: