Got a new electric Go Kart ''winter'' project idea rolling around in my head.

P/S ,,
It screams,, but doesn't sound anything ''annoying'' like that Geico little piggy. LOL! :D
That's cuz you drowned him out!

Way cool build and making some new friends to boot, win/win situation!

Ya know I'm within a days drive of ya...
Great builds there, admiration abounds!

Still have to say you have one thing to change...

Into my possession! ;)

Jus'sayin... :cool:

Last edited:

I74

If there's still room on your list I would like to volunteer as test pilot for your Lithium Land Cruiser!!!:D
Sure thing Mariah. :)

Next time you come thru Iowa,, I will gladly reserve you an executive seat, as test pilot. ;)

Last edited:

I74

That's cuz you downed him out!

Way cool build and making some new friends to boot, win/win situation!

Ya know I'm within a days drive of ya...
Great builds there admiration abounds!

Still have to say you have one thing to change...

Into my possession! ;)

Jus'sayin... :cool:
You can swing by anytime, Mark,, & take it for a spin.
It won't be going back home with you though,, ''at this point''.

Long time Buddy of mine, that ''I'' used to work for his Dad years ago,,, as an European exotic car tech.,, he used to race Karts with ''now'' NASCAR driver - ''Landon Cassill''.
He's chomp'n @ the bit,, to come over & give it a test drive also.
He is bummed out though, that I won't sell it to him,, even with him having ''very'' deep pockets.
I just sent him an e - mail stating, that all he has to do,, is come up with a roller chassis, & I would direct him with the rest of the stuff,, to build him one.

Like I said before Mark,, you would be first on the list someday,,, regardless.
I 'am a Man of my word. ;)

I

Last edited:
Shuckx... got my hopes up for nothing! ;)
I'm just way impressed at the project as a whole. Then cpl that with your craftsmanship sir and WOW! Great job! :cool:

Shoot Landon an email to come hangout and help you put one together for him!

"I 'am a Man of my word."
Yes sir i get that one loud and clear! Do my absolute best to live by that.
Tried hard to instill that in the kiddos. Told them at the end of it all, the only thing you will have in this world is your word, honor it!

Way cool build Sir, sure you don't wanna make one last change... ;)

I74

Thanks Mark !
I don't know Landon personally, but am good friends with his Dad.
As much as you like & appreciate my Kart & skills,, maybe I will just put this Kart for you in my living will.
You can't put a price on sincere appreciation, even though I haven't personally met you.
My gut feeling tells me that you would be well worthy of it though,, & would take very good care of it,, plus not let anything happen to it either.

Shoot me a PM with your address .

Ian

Last edited:

I74

Finally received the correct brake light/ motor cut switch,, & installed that, plus made a bracket for the brake light assy.,, & have it all buttoned up.
Works real slick ! :cool:
Just ''yet'' waiting on the ''clear''/ rechargeable LED head lights.
I
100_6614.JPG

I74

Buddy ''Fred'' decided that he is going to go with higher quality/ more expensive batteries,, so I just acquired the 4th pack. :p
Am waiting on more solder, & will make a 4th pack inline jumper wire extension, & get that pack ect. added,, here in the next day or so ….

Am a little disappointed on run time so far with 3 packs,,, & thought it would be more.
Actually only getting around 45min. on the 3 packs.
Think the cells 'now' are ''not'' actually 3500ma,, & that they are probably 2500ma,, which would give ea. pack a capacity of 10ah.
That calculates about right,, with the run times I' am getting.
Which means, that if it's pulling an average of 35 amps,, & the packs wired in ''parallel'' total up to 30 ah,, that would be about right for a 45 min. run time.

Example,,
10 ah ''amp hours'', means that the pack is rated to pull 10 amps constant for 1hr. on a charge.
3 - 10ah packs wired in parallel , now total 30ah, so you should be able to pull 30a constant for 1hr.

Going with the added 4th pack, & ''if all the packs are actually 10ah ea''. ,, 10ah ''times'' 4 , is now a total capacity of 40ah.

That 4th added pack, should definitely ''now'' give me around an hr. run time, plus it will have more total power longer.

Lastly,,
The more cells you run, the less draw on ea. cell,, plus they don't work as hard... Which adds up to that ''theoretically'',, the life expectancy of the cells should improve. ;)

I

desert rat

Buddy ''Fred'' decided that he is going to go with higher quality/ more expensive batteries,, so I just acquired the 4th pack. :p
Am waiting on more solder, & will make a 4th pack inline jumper wire extension, & get that pack ect. added,, here in the next day or so ….

Am a little disappointed on run time so far with 3 packs,,, & thought it would be more.
Actually only getting around 45min. on the 3 packs.
Think the cells 'now' are ''not'' actually 3500ma,, & that they are probably 2500ma,, which would give ea. pack a capacity of 10ah.
That calculates about right,, with the run times I' am getting.
Which means, that if it's pulling an average of 35 amps,, & the packs wired in ''parallel'' total up to 30 ah,, that would be about right for a 45 min. run time.

Example,,
10 ah ''amp hours'', means that the pack is rated to pull 10 amps constant for 1hr. on a charge.
3 - 10ah packs wired in parallel , now total 30ah, so you should be able to pull 30a constant for 1hr.

Going with the added 4th pack, & ''if all the packs are actually 10ah ea''. ,, 10ah ''times'' 4 , is now a total capacity of 40ah.

That 4th added pack, should definitely ''now'' give me around an hr. run time, plus it will have more total power longer.

Lastly,,
The more cells you run, the less draw on ea. cell,, plus they don't work as hard... Which adds up to that ''theoretically'',, the life expectancy of the cells should improve. ;)

I
Here I was hoping to see the first hold my beer video. The master of ohm still has us on the edge of our seats.

Sir "I" of Ooohhhmmm.... :cool: this is gonna be absolutely awesome Sir!

Nurse: The 1st person one sees after saying, here hold my beer and watch this Shiite...

Now we wait for the video... :confused:

Lead/acid batteries will lose up to 30% of their ah capacity during high discharge rates, I would expect to have similar loss of ah capacity with Lithium batteries also. Drawing less amps always seems to improve usable range and battery life span. Load that cart to the max with batteries and show the automotive designers how it should be done!

I74

Here I was hoping to see the first hold my beer video. The master of ohm still has us on the edge of our seats.
Me & Fred are going cruising tomorrow aft. early eve.
Just did some work on his Tillotson 212 Mini that I built him awhile back,, & he will be riding that, & I will be running the Kart.
We have a mile long back strait, that I will have him go ahead away's, pull over,, & then shoot some vid of me going by.

desert rat

Me & Fred are going cruising tomorrow aft. early eve.
Just did some work on his Tillotson 212 Mini that I built him awhile back,, & he will be riding that, & I will be running the Kart.
We have a mile long back strait, that I will have him go ahead away's, pull over,, & then shoot some vid of me going by.
I will see it sunday night when I get back from LA. right?

I74

Lead/acid batteries will lose up to 30% of their ah capacity during high discharge rates, I would expect to have similar loss of ah capacity with Lithium batteries also. Drawing less amps always seems to improve usable range and battery life span. Load that cart to the max with batteries and show the automotive designers how it should be done!
Yea Mariah,, the LA batts. don't like being ''repeatedly'' high discharged,, kills them real quick.

Quality of the cells ect. on Li & Lipo,, definitely plays a big factor on life span.
I ' am a big electric R/C Guy, & have been alongside the progression of rechargables since the mid 70's.
I have some R/C lipo packs that are around 12 years old, & have not lost any capacity what so ever.
They are real good quality, & very high C ''capacity'' ratings also,, ''especially for back then''.
Then I have others like from Hobby king ect. that loose % capacity, just after a few cycles,, & are basically junk.

I hope these 13s 4p packs hang tough.
The 4th added pack should definitely help on this. ;)

I

Last edited:

I74

Added,,

Got the 4 pack config. all buttoned up & ready to rip for later on today's cruise.

Not sure if you Guys realized how many 18650 cells I' am going to be running now.

Ea. pack has 52 of them.
52 times 4 = 208

Am running 16 sets of 13 cells now,, which makes all 4 packs together,, basically a 13s 16p.
Each set of 13 cells is wired in series , then those sets are wired parallel.
Each pack has 4 sets of 13.

Each pack also has a BMS circuit board in side it.
BMS stands for ''battery monitoring system'' ,, or ''battery management system''.

That circuitry has reverse polarity & short protection in it ect.
It also monitors & regulates ''balance'' charge & discharge of all the cells,, plus also has a temp sensor.

Pretty much all the ''electric'' Li outdoor power equip. now,, has BMS circuitry in the packs,, especially the higher voltage stuff,, like the EGO's, Kobalt's,, Husky's,,, DeWalt - ect. ect. ….
When you see 2 batt. pack slots on these,, that means - ''2 packs in parallel'',, which doubles the ''Ah'' capacity.

I

Last edited:

I74

The Buddy of mine that used to race Karts with Landon Cassill, has a used Harley dealership here in Cedar Rapids.
I stopped by there the other day,, to check out the 2 - Harley Davidson ''Live wires'' that he has.
They basically made it like a sport bike.
Range on it is supposed to be around 150 miles on a charge.
It's pretty cool, but I would of designed it a bit different,, especially in the chassis & charge port location ect.
It's a ''really tall'' bike, & the charge ports are where the fill cap on top of a gas tank would be.
First,, I would of made the bike ''a lot'' lower, ''like a V -rod'',, or FXWG - Wide Glide.
2nd,, I would of located the charge ports down on one of the sides ect.

It would be ''really cool'' if they ''at some point'',, come up with a ''slammed'' chopper version. ;)

desert rat

I think a twin motor drag cart is next, that makes me all giggly inside. All aluminum,no seat lay down frame,6" spoke front tires,10" wide rears,two on/ off switch type controllers,three pack per motor. Come off the line on one 20 feet out bring on the second motor. That would be a hold my six pack video right there.

I74

I think a twin motor drag cart is next, that makes me all giggly inside. All aluminum,no seat lay down frame,6" spoke front tires,10" wide rears,two on/ off switch type controllers,three pack per motor. Come off the line on one 20 feet out bring on the second motor. That would be a hold my six pack video right there.
That would be a ''hold my 6pk'' vid & then some !! :p:cool:

Just thought of someth'n ,,

You could call it the - ''6pk''. LOL :D

Last edited: