Got a powell!

What are you saying Dave a love affair with Powell's very easy to understand. But I have never seen a Powell with white walls LOL but it does look good. All three of the Phantom 7 bikes that I had went east from Portland with Don Trowler who is too busy for this forum so they are most likely locked up in a shed in Missouri.

What are you saying Dave a love affair with Powell's very easy to understand. But I have never seen a Powell with white walls LOL but it does look good. All three of the Phantom 7 bikes that I had went east from Portland with Don Trowler who is too busy for this forum so they are most likely locked up in a shed in Missouri.
Hey Allen Powell likes it. LMAO! Besides, if you're going to run a bike on the street, might as well run DOT tires. Thanks for your nice comment on the video. I don't think I ever mentioned that Steven. Nothing like gushing on about the cool factor of a bike, to bring the next purchase price up in the stratosphere! :laugh:

Found this for sale locally and while I used to think these were funny looking...
Congrats on the great find! :thumbsup: I'm still disappointed that I missed out on a Powell during the summer. As much as I'd like to have one, I do think they're funny looking. Nothing wrong w/that.

Ole & [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION] ...I ended up using the Briggs Flatty on my D model so If ole needs this tag for his engine.....I'll ship it to him for free .

Are you talking about the riveted metal engine tag?
No, it's a metal tag that hung off the side (sump) of the engine. It was used to denote replacement blocks, and there was some discussion on it a few weeks ago. The one I gave OND came from the Powell I was talking about, which was the original engine by all accounts. There was also a data plate on the shroud.

Here is the discussion.

I’ll look at the engine I have to see if it has a tag but I’m pretty sure it does not. It’s a hs50 I picked up either from here or EBAY.

Been a while but I got some garage time and started cleaning up the two HS50 engines that I plan to make one out of. One was mint but had a bushing PTO the other worn out but BB PTO. The crank was worn out so I searched all over for a BB crank only two places had one I could even order so Jacks small engine I went but it kept giving me a message it was on backorder waiting for the manufacturer to ship. That worried me as they have been out of business (Tecumseh). Anyway it finally came in a NOS Tecumseh block and it was the correct one so I can start on the motor. I am going to wait on the powell bike until I finish my speedway project.

Well Speedway drag bike is basically finished pending trial run and possibly cutting away the engine plate a bit for more belt clearance but I need to test it first. Started again on the Tecumseh HS50 for the powell, Bore has a bit of taper and out of round so honed it straight and ball honed in two directions cleaned in soap and water. Have around .0045 clearance. I moly coated the piston to take up the half thousandths. I also did a bit more radiusing the short side but the dam bolt bosses sure hinder a good short side. DSC01229.JPG Cutting valves next. DSC01232.JPG

Outstanding thread, it makes a fine read ‘cause its too hot to fish for stream trout right now. Thanks to all the contributors. Powells are cool.
Steve

I just finished the seats and valves. I had new tec valves the original ones and some briggs valves. The new intake matched the original and I am using it. The new exhaust had the same smaller stem .243 that ATKrider had told me about years ago. The original exhaust was .246 and fit good while the briggs exhaust was .248. I glass beaded the valve polished the stem and re-ground the 45 with a 30 backcut. The intake was new so I just barely ground the inside edge of the 45 with a 30 back cut just to get the edge off.

DSC01247.JPG DSC01248.JPG DSC01249.JPG DSC01244.JPG

Last edited:

delray

ole4 , what size carb is that? looks like a big block H-carb. did you decide to go with a stock cam too.

looking good......