Got here a fox mini bike of some sorts...condor?

Steve73

Found this fox for sale. On my way to pick it up I got locked out of my truck. 3.5hrs later I was rescued. Finally met up with a promise of paying more than the asking price due to the overwhelming interest, I finally got it! It runs but carb leaks. My plans are to clean it up as much as I can and leave it as is. I think it's a fox condor maybe?

The PO got this new when he was 8yrs old and 30yrs later sold it to me. Told me it was always kept dry in the barn on the family farm. I'm excited to have and share it with you all!

I think it's a fox condor but not sure. Maybe some fox guys can chime in and let me know what's missing and hopefully everything you see is still original...

Steve, that's a beauty there. Congratulations on your find.

I still can't figure out how some folks can sell something like that, that has been with them their whole life...:shrug:

Definately a score on your behalf...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steve73

I dont get it either. I double checked and asked if he was sure he wanted to part with it. Only asking $175 for it he was more than happy when I gave him $300. It's Christmas season and put a smile on his face. An even bigger one on mine!:clown:

markus

steve, you are correct that is a Condor, the trail FX had lights and a rear rack, condor had no lighting provisions on the frame :thumbsup:

Steve73

Thank you markus. That was a lingering wonder of mine since you are correct there is no signs of lights ever on this mini. Thank you for your insights and knowledge!

1971_MB1A

So then yours must be the Condor Model No.1429 and mine is the Trail FX. Sometimes the variations etc on some of these bikes can get a bit confusing.

1971_MB1A

Their should be a tag about the size of a credit card attached by 2 rivets to the front of the blower housing pull start cover that will have the model & serial number both stamped on it. Should be an HS40 as far as I know.

Steve73

Their should be a tag about the size of a credit card attached by 2 rivets to the front of the blower housing pull start cover that will have the model & serial number both stamped on it. Should be an HS40 as far as I know.
I don't know how I missed this and feel silly now! Thank you and yes it's a hs40

markus

Here's a scan from the 1969 issued fold out brochure, It didn't take resizing to smaller resolution too good sorry. they really didn't give the condor and the other not as macked out bikes much love in the brochures and add's.

Maybe some fox guys can chime in and let me know what's missing and hopefully everything you see is still original...
One issue I see is the brake caliper appears to have been repaired and altered, so be careful when working with it. clutch cover is altered or or homemade, possible problem at the handlebar. Something else to noet if your going to get it cleaned up and straightened out is the recoil. the riveted ones have smaller holes than ones that got bolted on. so keep that in mind if you just plan to swap that one out due to the bracket or whatever that heck that is on the face of it. You can still use the screw/bolt on style but will be a sloppy fit so you gotta plan for that with maybe a spacer or something to that nature before you rivet it back on.

The original diaphragm carbs for the H35 and HS40 slanted engines are tough to find due to their bore size and choke lever design-they only used them on the mini bikes....and they seem to have been discontinued come 1971. So unless your doing an actual Restoration, an aftermarket slanted intake would probably serve you purpose best :thumbsup:

Steve73

I just want to ride and keep it as is. Yeah I don’t know what is screwed onto the recoil. The condor on the brochure doesn’t look like the carb sits level? I took the carb apart to clean yesterday and looks like the float was adjusted, for the angle maybe. Should it sit level normally?thanks for your keen eye for details..

markus

I just want to ride and keep it as is. Yeah I don’t know what is screwed onto the recoil. The condor on the brochure doesn’t look like the carb sits level? I took the carb apart to clean yesterday and looks like the float was adjusted, for the angle maybe. Should it sit level normally?thanks for your keen eye for details..

A bowl/float type carb should sit as lever as possible to work correctly. Tecumseh did not make an intake to accommodate a bowl/float type carb for slanted applications until the first quarter of 1971. the fox 10" spoke wheel bikes came out for 1969 (and fun fact, Fox was the first to bring the slanted engine design to market :thumbsup:) The diaphragm carbs work in all positions so they set one up specifically for this purpose and engine size. It would be cheaper to purchase a reproduction slanted intake from blackwidowmotorsports usually than it is to buy a good correct diaphragm carb to get the best overall operation.

Steve73

Space is pretty tight in there the way everything sits with exhaust . I seen the aftermarket one your talking about. Would that mess things up with the governor arm hooking back up to the carb? Sorry for the basic questions.. this is the intake I'm working with now...

Also as regards to the brake rear wheel brake caliper what seems to be altered on it? Seems to be the one that came with the bike..

Thanks again for your super helpful responses!