Got this today. Lil Indian?

JimmyC

Picked this up today. I believe it's a Lil Indian. The wheels have no lip. Not sure if tires are original but looks like they'll clean up nice. Has the two speed jack shaft (not sure if original), no main clutch. The handle bars look nice and fold up and down. Looks like motorcycle shocks on rear.
IMG_05840001.JPG IMG_05870001.JPG IMG_05910001.JPG IMG_05930001.JPG IMG_05940001.JPG

Yep, 7000. Got the brakes too and that's cool. May be the original 2 speed as well. Wrong shocks tho. Those can be found. It looks to have the original General 5.30 tires too. What kind of condition are they in? Are you gonna restore it?

JimmyC

Yep, 7000. Got the brakes too and that's cool. May be the original 2 speed as well. Wrong shocks tho. Those can be found. It looks to have the original General 5.30 tires too. What kind of condition are they in? Are you gonna restore it?
I believe the 2 speed is original (missing engine clutch). The tires look great, no dry rot at all, just need cleaning. Shocks look like they came from a motorcycle. The engine on it doesn't look like the clutch will line up with the jackshaft sprockets, not sure why. I'm not sure if I'm the right guy to restore it. Maybe make it a rider without hurting originality.

Last edited:

JimmyC

The engine runs so good. Would it be stupid to drill new slots to move it over so the sprockets line up with the clutch?
Jimmy

The engine runs so good. Would it be stupid to drill new slots to move it over so the sprockets line up with the clutch?
Jimmy
Maybe pick up a piece of aluminum plate and make an adapter plate to get your alignment. Looks like you'd still have decent clearance if you used a piece of 1/2" plate. I needed to do this on a bike so I had clearance front to back, works pretty good and makes installing the hardware much easier also if you drill and tap all your mounting holes.

JimmyC

Maybe pick up a piece of aluminum plate and make an adapter plate to get your alignment. Looks like you'd still have decent clearance if you used a piece of 1/2" plate. I needed to do this on a bike so I had clearance front to back, works pretty good and makes installing the hardware much easier also if you drill and tap all your mounting holes.
That's a great idea. Engine definitely has to be moved over.

Looks like a briggs on there now. Could it have originally had the Tec engine?

Your front forks look like there stuck or something. They are sticking out pretty far.

Here are a couple of photos of a 7000 I have so you have a reference. I have made some changes on mine since then (I added a correct seat and shocks), but you can get an idea what you are looking at.

0718141903a.jpg

0718141901a.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyC

Looks like a briggs on there now. Could it have originally had the Tec engine?

Your front forks look like there stuck or something. They are sticking out pretty far.

Here are a couple of photos of a 7000 I have so you have a reference. I have made some changes on mine since then (I added a correct seat and shocks), but you can get an idea what you are looking at.

Not sure what engine it came with. The forks seem smooth not stuck.

The 5 HP that came on the Lil Indian's had the bearing side cover. That eliminated the protrusion you have on your side cover. With that gone the dual sprocket clutch would line up with the 2 speed unit. BTW..that is an original 2 speed set up. Regards.
Joe

JimmyC

The 5 HP that came on the Lil Indian's had the bearing side cover. That eliminated the protrusion you have on your side cover. With that gone the dual sprocket clutch would line up with the 2 speed unit. BTW..that is an original 2 speed set up. Regards.
Joe
Thanks Joe. Not sure why the sprocket wouldn't line up. If it doesn't sell on Ebay. I'm going to make it a rider without restoration.