Governor issues with HS40

With all this time on my hands, I started messing with an HS40 I got on a trade . I put a Chinese CARB on it and it starts and idles. With the engine off, it throttles all the way open and closes. When I start it, It won’t throttle up . I’m thinking the governor is busted inside because the linkage doesn’t bind and moves smoothly. Any ideas? E3343F7C-B174-4127-8355-5240FD83D3B2.jpeg 0D1E248B-7D1E-4583-BD18-C3E80A6B17FA.jpeg

With the engine running, can you push the governor arm forward and rev the engine?
I had to drill another hole in the butterfly valve in order for the throttle linkage to overcome the spring and increase the engine speed.

It's hard to tell by your photo, but the governor arm should be at rest around the 10 o'clock position. If it is not, there is no play left for it to move the throttle butterfly open.
The governor should allow you to rev the engine pretty high, sense it is too fast,them slow the engine down.

Attachments

Hey Joe, I've been down this road a couple of times myself. There is no specified position of the gov arm. The gov is adjusted by loosening the screw that clamps the gov arm, then rotating the gov arm to give the carb WOT, while turning the gov shaft back so it rests against the gov spool.

It's tedious, but before you can do any of that, you have to ensure your spring is somewhere near correct- it looks pretty low on the arm compared to most adjustments I've seen. Also, the throttle actuating rod you fabricated is making contact with the throttle plate and that will mess you up. It should have a bit of a hump in it to clear. Also, it should go in the hole by itself, but that isn't specified in the book, just by drawings. That spring looks very stretched.

It's hard to tell by your photo, but the governor arm should be at rest around the 10 o'clock position. If it is not, there is no play left for it to move the throttle butterfly open.
The governor should allow you to rev the engine pretty high, sense it is too fast,them slow the engine down.
Thanks for the heads up Rob! Making progress.

Hey Joe, I've been down this road a couple of times myself. There is no specified position of the gov arm. The gov is adjusted by loosening the screw that clamps the gov arm, then rotating the gov arm to give the carb WOT, while turning the gov shaft back so it rests against the gov spool.

It's tedious, but before you can do any of that, you have to ensure your spring is somewhere near correct- it looks pretty low on the arm compared to most adjustments I've seen. Also, the throttle actuating rod you fabricated is making contact with the throttle plate and that will mess you up. It should have a bit of a hump in it to clear. Also, it should go in the hole by itself, but that isn't specified in the book, just by drawings. That spring looks very stretched.
Thanks Dave. I took that rod off another engine. It was upside down compared to that other motor. I think that was the problem. I took a step back and made sure the CARB was dialed in . I’ll mess around with it today. This last 7 weeks I’ve been off has been a preview of what retired life will be like in 2 years. Can’t Wait! TLJ

[QUOTE="Taco Loco Joe, post:This last 7 weeks I’ve been off has been a preview of what retired life will be like in 2 years. Can’t Wait! TLJ[/QUOTE]

You know I’m the opposite...off 10 weeks for hands and couldn’t wait to get back....

I messed with the Rod and readjusted the position of the Gov Arm. Changed the spring after the original one flew off to Mars lol. Not running, the throttle opens and closes all the way. I don’t have the chain on so the engine isn’t under any load. I Fired it up and when I throttle it wide open the CARB hovers around 1/4 open. Today I’m gonna hook up the Brake and kill switch and test it out.