Governor removal. Have to take out flywheel side pin?

I removed my governor and plugged the hole on the top of the crank case, sealed up the sidecover and put it back on my bike. Then i heard someone mentioning that you have to take the pin that the governor is attached to on The side of the flywheel, out. Is this absolutely necessary? It cant come loose from the engine vibrations can it? I just dont feel like opening it up again and taking off the flywheel

Daniel Coop

I removed my governor and plugged the hole on the top of the crank case, sealed up the sidecover and put it back on my bike. Then i heard someone mentioning that you have to take the pin that the governor is attached to on The side of the flywheel, out. Is this absolutely necessary? It cant come loose from the engine vibrations can it? I just dont feel like opening it up again and taking off the flywheel
I assume you are speaking of the piece that the governor sits on or over? If so, no... Leave it alone. Ain't going nowhere

I'm assuming we're talking Honda/clone/Predator, here. If you are referring to the governor gear shaft, Daniel is correct (he's much more familiar with small engine innards than I am). The shaft is pressed into the case. Hopefully, you removed the washer behind the gear. The deal with removing the shaft is it's another way to remove the governor. If you have the flywheel off, you can use a drift punch and hammer to drift the shaft out and not need to mess with the clip inside the case. It's a quick and easy way to remove the governor if you have removed the flywheel, but it does make for another hole to plug.

CarPlayLB

I like to push that pin out and tap the hole...one less thing to go wrong! Removing the nylon gear is a PITA and I find it is easier to push the pin through. It is not a necessity, just the way I like to do it! I love drinking 4 beers while watching someone on YouTube trying to get that clip off!:laugh:

Oh heck, not going to use the plastic gear for anything, I just use a thin bladed screwdriver and smack it with a hammer. Drives past the ring and into the gear. It's those silly counter weights that keep getting in the way that bugs me.

Daniel Coop

The clip comes off quite easily with a long skinny screw driver placed at the right angle and wack of a hammer. You're already in there anyway, why go through the extra work of removing more shit? I've never had an issue. The guys in them YouTube videos probably had 4 or more beers before attempting to remove the clip. But on the other hand, if you're building the whole motor and have the flywheel off anyway, it's one half dozen or the other.

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;MBrTp1vfMr0]https://youtu.be/MBrTp1vfMr0[/video]
Audio kinda sucks but I did a video on how I get the plastic gear off.

Last edited:

trinik7597

You guys gotta be kidding right ? Remove everything from both holes .. Get 2 1/4 20 set screws run them in the holes no need to tap they will thread themselves in then back them out add loctite and screw back in ... Done

SAS289

Yeah. If the engine was that far apart I would just blast it out from the flywheel side in 1 second with the air hammer.

Yeah. If the engine was that far apart I would just blast it out from the flywheel side in 1 second with the air hammer.
:lol: that was just some Honda block I had laying around. Nobody removing their governor is going to pull it THAT far apart to do so. Video is more or less just to show that little bastard of a clip. If I would've done it to an assembled engine it would've been super hard to see.

The Honda block is still sitting under the shelf.

Reminds me of Justin going to remove it by himself so he hammers it "through" because he saw it was supposed to be pressed in. Yea he took out like a square inch of block with the govern wheel stud in the middle. Had to shit can the block because it sent cracks every which way.