Great way to remove surface rust on chrome!

My Heald superbronc had some pretty bad surface rust on the fenders. My friend who recently restored an old Columbia mtd suggested I try using aluminum foil and soapy water. I followed his advice and here are the results! I was pretty impressed! CB348471-B6CF-4E7B-AAE3-3C6605A118FB.jpeg 255F94C3-623C-4DFC-8986-90C98CD17206.jpeg 54A82DC1-DDEA-49C2-A75B-E48FD4058E6E.jpeg

capguncowboy

Nicely done. 00 steel wool works too. My favorite is Evaporust, but it's not cheap. A really crusty bike will use up a 5 gallon bucket, but it's pretty much drop it in and forget about it until the next day, rinse it off and you're done.

00n0n_MQS7ogGNBD_1200x900.jpg

2016-06-05 18.05.15.jpg

2016-05-29 02.00.45.jpg

2016-05-29 23.46.52.jpg

Last edited:
My Heald superbronc had some pretty bad surface rust on the fenders. My friend who recently restored an old Columbia mtd suggested I try using aluminum foil and soapy water. ]
For better results try Aluminum foil and Coke. Coke is acidic or costic or some scientific term to describe why it works. But it does make a huge difference.

I have to agree with Andy though Evaporust is the way to go.

capguncowboy

For better results try Aluminum foil and Coke. Coke is acidic or costic or some scientific term to describe why it works. But it does make a huge difference.

I have to agree with Andy though Evaporust is the way to go.
One of Coke's ingredients is phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is good for cleaning rust off of metal because it removes the rust AND creates a protective coating on the remaining metal underneath. Someone here years ago was debating rust removal and brought this up. I never looked into beyond that. I can't recall all of the points and counterpoints from that discussion but I do remember them harping on the advantages of phosphoric acid for rust removal.

I through a coat of tech wax on when o was done to try and protect but from further corrosion. I’m gonna look into the evaporust

One of Coke's ingredients is phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is good for cleaning rust off of metal because it removes the rust AND creates a protective coating on the remaining metal underneath.
Thanks Andy. I knew someone would know the terminology. I appreciate you.

Doug

Nicely done. 00 steel wool works too. My favorite is Evaporust, but it's not cheap. A really crusty bike will use up a 5 gallon bucket, but it's pretty much drop it in and forget about it until the next day, rinse it off and you're done.

View attachment 105177

View attachment 105178

View attachment 105179

View attachment 105180
Yeah Evaporust ain't cheap. My dad used to work at Bosch Rexroth and when they shut down his building they were throwing away tons of good stuff. A brand new 5 gallon bucket of Evaporust was one of the items. That's the best way to get materials, hands down. One business's junk is anybody with sanity's treasure!