Greetings from a new guy

Just found this sight and brings back memories. Had a couple of ? but for now I see alot of Colemans on Marketplace and are they something to start out with and if so is one model better than another? I would like one that looks more like from the 60's. That is what I grew up with. But I have not seen anything around where I live. Thanks for any help. Toslow

Keep watching your local craigslist and garage sales and you will probably see a sixties or seventies mini bike in various states of condition .
That would be the way i would go based on what your saying.Nothing against the Colemans if you want to just get out there and start riding from day one. I really like seeing people preserve history with a classic.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Arkansas and have not seen anything for a while. My wife and I grew up around mini bikes in the 60's and would like to find a couple of bikes to cruise around on. Thanks again.

Minimichael

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Arkansas and have not seen anything for a while. My wife and I grew up around mini bikes in the 60's and would like to find a couple of bikes to cruise around on. Thanks again.
I have a hardtail Bonanza and a Softail Arctic Cat. Both are from the 60s or 70s and a lot of fun to ride, especially with my kids. But did I mention everybody knows the cat is way more comfortable so dad always gets stuck riding the bonanza? I'm in my 50s and just loving this hobby, but I confess I also daydream about a pair of new custom Colemans.

So I've been wondering the same thing. What's out there in terms of comfort vs power, and quality?

Triley41395

Just found this sight and brings back memories. Had a couple of ? but for now I see alot of Colemans on Marketplace and are they something to start out with and if so is one model better than another? I would like one that looks more like from the 60's. That is what I grew up with. But I have not seen anything around where I live. Thanks for any help. Toslow
What kind of riding will you be doing? I don’t have any trails near me so my riding consists of country roads and an occasional grass driveway. I have vintage and newer bikes and enjoy riding both. I'm a small guy so the smaller mini bikes are fine for me but my son who is taller enjoys the colman 200 over the smaller ones. The bikes with the smaller 4" and some of the 6" don't handle great much past 15 maybe 20MPH. I really enjoy my sears roper for comfort but the coleman with 8" balloon tires handles much nicer. BUT you can't beat the feeling of cruising a classic.

SAS289

The Coleman 200's are Chinese made bikes. With 19 inch tall fat tires and 10:1 gearing they come set up as slow speed trail bikes and work very well for that purpose. Out of the box you not going to cruise down the road at 30 MPH, you're going to be on and off the governor at 19-20 MPH. Just about everyone makes changes to them for higher speed. If you get a 20 MPH Coleman and want more speed ask this forum first before making any changes.

The original CT200U is the closest to an old school look as you'll get but without front suspension and its seat design make it the least comfortable rider. The other 200 models have different frames and seats, and come with front suspension and a headlight. Engine and drivetrains are all the same.

Here's a picture of my blue painted 200U when it was mainly stock. Ignore the front rack. haha. This year I made changes for better acceleration and higher speed. It got a mild built 196, torque converter and gearing. It's a basic setup for off road but can still top out in the mid 40's if put on the road.

20170401_183751.jpg

Thank you Brooklyn Bob!
Triley41395 my riding will be mostly pavement. Wife doesn't care so much about dirt. I'm a big guy but I really like the original look with the 6" wheels. Can you put 6" wheels on a Coleman? I have been looking online for companies that I remembered back in the 60's and all I found was Azusa. Any companies around that is building a good one besides Azusa? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Thank you Brooklyn Bob!
Triley41395 my riding will be mostly pavement. Wife doesn't care much about dirt. I'm a big guy but I really like the original look with 6" wheels. Can you put 6" wheels on a Coleman? I have been looking online for companies that I remember back in the 6" and all I found was Azusa. Any companies around that is building a good one besides Azusa? Thanks for your help!

Triley41395

Thank you Brooklyn Bob!
Triley41395 my riding will be mostly pavement. Wife doesn't care much about dirt. I'm a big guy but I really like the original look with 6" wheels. Can you put 6" wheels on a Coleman? I have been looking online for companies that I remember back in the 6" and all I found was Azusa. Any companies around that is building a good one besides Azusa? Thanks for your help!
Just my opinion but if you are a bigger guy I would not go with anything small. I would get used and build it to your liking. If you want 6 inch wheels the older doodlebug is what I think is a good choice between big and small but kinda keeping the vintage look. Some of the members here have done them up really nice. You can get lots of support here doing a custom build. If you're not wanting to actually build one there are some options out there but the coleman 200 is probably going to be your best option. 3-.jpg

Thanks Triley41395, The picture you sent is what I like. Thing is there were not alot of places back then that sold bikes. What year was Doodlebugs made and did they sell under any other name? I may have to watch for a 200u. I would like to find one to fix up. The Colemans around here need work and they want 500.00. Thanks again.

Lizardking

Welcome to the club!

Look on offerup too, you just need to be persistent and widen your search area and it will payoff! I found my ct200u 1/2 hr away but scored for only $225 and still in great condition!
20200610_204506.jpg

Last edited:

LIVIT

Welcome to the minibike madness ! This Forum is great, members are very in the know and ready to help. They sure have helped me with my offroad Coleman upgrades. The Coleman 200 series mini's, I think all come with 19x7-8, I don't think going down to 6" would work very well on the 200 frames. If you cannot find a used frame, they're are several nice bolt together frame kits. Then you could customize it more too your likes. Two of them that come to mind are the Rascal and Lil Rascal, they're more the older frame design. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Livit, I belong to some other forums and the people here seem to be very helpful. I've been following your post. Sounds like you are on your way. I've looked at the Rascal and also the Azusa and the Lil Indian.Use to you could find find alot of stores selling Colemans but not lately. Thanks again.

DaddyJohn

The Baja Doodlebugs and Coleman CT100U look the most vintage of the later model Chinese mini bikes. The CT100U is the newer of the two and looks almost identical to the Baja (though not entirely mechanically identical). They look great with a Tecumseh HS series flathead engine installed. :)

Attachments