Greyhound Clone Build for a 2005 Ty-Rail Gokart

I know it's been awhile so let me bring you up to speed. Of course my camera's memory screwed up so less pictures this time.

The cable butterfly valve is hooked up and working perfectly. I had to ditch the aluminum lever on the muffler because it wasn't aluminum. It turned out to be some kind of zinc-type alloy that softened up at muffler temps. The threads for the set screw stripped right out when I re-tightened it while hot. I went to a steel collar from the same copier machine that the zinc lever came from and bolted a steel disc to the top. This disc gave me infinite places to put the cable and return spring hardware to get the result I needed. After I found where to put the things on the disc, I was going to cut it down but I realized that it made a good heat sink/heat shield to preserve the life of the cable. I left it alone.

Next I needed a bracket to hold the cable sheath on the muffler. I bent up yet another piece of that dang copier and machined a barrel to press into the bracket. Here's the bracket:

100_4597.JPG

Next, a way to pull the cable from the cockpit. I found this old Bicycle shifter and it fit perfectly:

100_4596.JPG

If you ever need a custom end on a cable, you need a set of crimp-on endstops, a crimper, and a dremel. I could go on about how indispensable this set of tools is or I could just show you what I did:

[insert deleted image here] computerthrow.gif

I'll go re-take some pictures of the final product now.

Got the pictures. Push the control forward for open, back for closed.

100_4613.JPG

The complete system on the muffler:

100_4614.JPG

100_4615.JPG

Oh yeah, and this happened:

100_4616.JPG

Lesson learned. EMT does not weld good; use IMT next time. You are not a good welder; always ask somebody else who knows what they're doing.

Last edited:
Oh boy, here we go! Just placed orders for OldMiniBikes and NRR.:punk:

These parts are mostly the supporting mods and gaskets. Nothing for the bottom end yet. Just one step closer to making real-ish powaaa!

I'm off from school next week and I start my summer job the week after. Trying to time this so I give it the best working hours.

Last edited:
OldMiniBikes and NRR have arrived! Here's what I got:

PVL flywheel
0.032" main jet
GX140 E-tube
NRR 1.1:1 reinforced rockers
and a metric tonne of gaskets

The flywheel looks like it could be my all-time favorite. Cheap, effective, and just the right amount of timing to run on the Weis 87 octane dog water.

I think I overestimated the NRR rockers. Because they were 1.1:1 ratio, I assumed they'd be a bit more proprietary. They just seem like stock rockers with a welded strap near the pivot point. Oh well:shrug:, they weren't too expensive and they'll hold up to the 26lb springs later on.

I saw the post selling the Burris 1.3:1 rockers last night. Those would have been perfect if I hadn't already locked myself into the NRRs.

Enough complaining.

Just installed the flywheel and rockers. The stock windmill vs the PVL:

100_4754.JPG

The flywheel definitely needed lapping. It rocked on the taper. Two rounds of valve grind compound did the job well. Afterward, I sharpied up the crank and spun the flywheel. The contact was perfect. Gap set at 0.040" Torque the nut to 54 ft-lb and install cover.

After I put the flywheel on, I wanted to give it a pull to make sure I didn't screw something up. One pull, two pull, three pull and the air filter shot across the room. Surprising the plastic intake didn't explode. Put the filter back on, put it on stands, safety squints, hand ready on plug cap, and gave it a quick forth pull. Fired right up and purred like a kitten. Guess I just have to get used to that.:shrug:

I chucked the rocker pivot nuts in my lathe and rounded and polished the ball ends with some 320 grit and scotch brite.

The rockers, NRR left, OEM right:

100_4756.JPG

100_4757.JPG

The NRR rockers are indeed stock ratio (1:1). Mr. Mike Rometer and Tristan Decatur agree:

100_4758.JPG

I did recommend these rockers in another thread but I can't remember which one. I want to take it back.:doah:

Last edited:
Awesum to get parts so can build..:thumbsup: . a 32 jet sounds a wee smallish tho.
I only got the jet because the 140 e-tube came with it. I got the smallest one because I can drill it out.

As of now I'm using the stock e-tube and a drilled metric 79-ish (just over a standard 31) jet because I didn't do that much to the engine...yet...

Last edited:
So I tore the top end back down mostly because I'm bored now that school is done. I got to wash my beautiful UNI for the first time. The outer sleeve was caked with mud and the inner layer was untouched. UNI for life!:thumbsup:

The breather tube and intake were coated with oil. This would explain the slow use of oil without leaks and the carbon buildup in the chamber. I guess drilling out the drain between the lifters helps with that? My gaskets look like they were made by a kindergartner with a hole puncher:

100_4776.JPG

100_4778.JPG

100_4779.JPG

100_4788.JPG
[MENTION=54903]Raskin[/MENTION] was right. It does need a bigger main and maybe a step colder in plug, right? If a 31.5-ish jet is too small, how the heck does Lifan get away with a 28?:eek:ut: Thanks EPA... I did buy a colder iridium NGK a year ago but I didn't want to put a $12 plug into something running like this.

Last edited:
Say..i think in a pic of your engine i see the pcv tube going into the filter boot? At high rpms or cornering it will push oil in there..you need to disconnect that and let it hang with a little filter to let it spit or better add a catch can ..:thumbsup:

SAS289

Awesum to get parts so can build..:thumbsup: . a 32 jet sounds a wee smallish tho.
Hi Raskin… I run fine with a 31 or a 33 with a 140 e tube and open air filter. I'm also governed with the stock muffler. Ungoverned and a header I would then run 35-37. Those bigger jets are so you don't lean out too soon at higher rpm.

Hi Raskin… I run fine with a 31 or a 33 with a 140 e tube and open air filter. I'm also governed with the stock muffler. Ungoverned and a header I would then run 35-37. Those bigger jets are so you don't lean out too soon at higher rpm.
Thanks for the input. Doesn't the GX140 E-tube count for a jet size or two by itself?

SAS289

Now that I do not know.... I would say that the 140 e tube probably isn't as effective as it can be with the smaller (31,33) jets. Would work best with the 35 and larger jets.

Last edited: