gx160 mini from scratch

this is my project log. im sorry but i dont feel like copying all the information. so here's a link my page I would love to start some talk about this project in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your going to add a back bone right? A rail from the top of the neck to the seat rails? Also, I would add more gussets and plates to what you have pictured. Keep up the good work, what size front tire are you going to use?

thanks spacecoastz. I will add more support in the joints. The front wheel is just going to be a 10.5'' bicycle wheel. Do you think that won't work? I was wondering about the back bone, but if it needs to add consider it done.

I don't know about a bicycle rim on a mini, one good chuck hole, and you'll probably wish you have put a stouter rim on there, you're hauling more weight with the steel, the motor, and you, the first 2 can be replaced, road rash is hard to get rid of!!!!!
dave

Yes, definetly add that back bone! Complete the box for strength. Where your down tube connects to your bottom frame is a weak point as well. I would cut out a plate and after grinding the weld flush there plate over it for additional strength. Butt welds are not that strong and will fatigue quickly. Imaging bending a piece of metal back and forth a bunch of times, what happens? Make it as rigid as you can with out going crazy. You just don't wan't any flexing at your joints. Like Dave mentioned about the front tire, that was my concern and the reason why I asked what you were using for a front tire. I was going to go this route (reincarnated bike) but thought I would widen the forks to accept a suitable tire. Also thought of using forks that had shocks on them, mountain bike type. Are you taking metal shop in school? It would be to your advantage to have your instructor look over your frame for ideas on strengthening it. Just want you to have fun thats all, and that's the name of the game right? :wink:

yeah, im having fun. But no, im not in metal shop, i would be if we had one. I felt comfortable with the front wheel because so much of the weight is going to be over the rear tire. I will definitely add a back bone then.