h/f A fame bench shop press 6 ton

matt2

Harbor freight has an A frame bench shop press 6 ton. Has anyone got one of these? I was thinking of getting one to straighten forks and other small jobs. I read there feedback and some like it some don't. Ok so in the real world [mini bike world] will it do what I need it to do? I do not have room for a big press. Thanks everyone Matt

Oldsalt

A friend has one and it is, I suppose, OK for frame straightening but is just not up to pressing some bearings and etc. Mine is the HF 20 ton and it is not big enough for some of the things that are common. My advice is to save up a bit more loot and get the 20 ton. To buy one that is rated at 50 or so tons are very expensive in general.

matt2

Thanks Oldsalt thanks for the info. Someone else from washington. Im western wa, renton. I have a good friend in benton city. I love estern washington, just easier going. A lot more places to ride over there. I think it was daffy duck as a salesman and he said something about walla walla washington do you remember that? lol Anyway have a great day and I will see you on the east side. :scooter:
Thanks Matt

oldfatguy

12 Ton Shop Press

their 12 ton press is a better deal for only a few bucks more. The 6 ton will work but it is not as versatile as the 12 ton because of the larger working height. Say if you wanted to make a bending brake for it. The 20 ton is over kill unless you really need that much power. I have an older 12 ton press that I straighten forks on it has more then enough power to do it. You can also use a big bench vise to press forks straight with a few pieces of wood

Hey Matt.

Agree with the guys definatley go for more than 6 ton.
If you like Making your own things I put in some pics of a frame I made.
The only draw back is it's in reverse so sometime difficult to balance things and the height is fixed, but for the odd bearing and straightening it works fine.
All up cost me R450.00 thats 52$ not sure how that compares to a frame here in SA a new 12ton would cost 294$.

Also found a mod it a tool catalog you could try to improve on my one.

matt2

Thanks TANKSAREUS
I was thinking of getting the the 6 ton press because of it compact size. Your idea has a pretty compact size. I need it small enough to move into a corner out of the way when it's not in use. Thanks for the idea Matt.

Oldsalt

Thanks Oldsalt thanks for the info. Someone else from washington. Im western wa, renton. I have a good friend in benton city. I love estern washington, just easier going. A lot more places to ride over there. I think it was daffy duck as a salesman and he said something about walla walla washington do you remember that? lol Anyway have a great day and I will see you on the east side. :scooter:
Thanks Matt

The "Walla Walla" thing in early cartoons was a result of a guy from Walla Walla that worked, as a artist, at the Disney studios. Eastern Washington is a wonderful place to live. Walla Walla best of all! Folks liked it so much they named it twice.